[net.unix] Lisp for 3b's

narayan@wg3b20.UUCP (05/16/86)

Has anyone heard about LISP for the AT&T 3b
machines. Any info in this area is appreceated

Thanks in advance

--

Narayan Mohanram

Phone:		415-962 7170
ARPANET		wg3b20!narayan@lll-tis-b.ARPA
Usenet		ihnp4!{amdahl,pesnta}!wg3b20!narayan
Mail		The Wollongong Group
		1129 San Antonio Road
		Palo Alto, CA 94303. USA

	||	If you can't lick it, try some whipped cream	||

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (#Bill_Stewart) (05/20/86)

In article <615@wg3b20.UUCP> narayan@wg3b20.UUCP writes:

>Has anyone heard about LISP for the AT&T 3b
>machines. Any info in this area is appreceated

I know of three LISPs available for 3Bs.

* XLISP is a public-domain lisp interpreter written in C.  It shows up
periodically in net.sources and PC bulletin boards.  It's object-oriented and
works pretty well; the latest version is supposedly 1.6?

* LISP-TC is an AT&T Toolchest product, identical to exptools lisp internally.
It's small and MacLispish; it was written to be an internal user-supported tool
rather than a formal product.  As with all Toolchest products, you need a
source license, and it does cost (some) money.  I know it runs on VAXen and
3B20s; I don't know about 3B2 or 3B5 but it probably does.

* Franz Lisp, of Berkeley 4.* fame, is commercially sold and supported by Franz
Inc., in Berkeley, and is available for 3Bs.  This is a commercial product and
it's not cheap.  But it *is* Franz.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

putnam@steinmetz.UUCP (jefu) (06/02/86)

In article <615@wg3b20.UUCP> narayan@wg3b20.UUCP writes:

>Has anyone heard about LISP for the AT&T 3b
>machines. Any info in this area is appreceated

You might check out Kyoto Common Lisp.  This is a Common Lisp written
(almost) entirely in C and as such should be fairly portable.  You can
get the source relatively cheaply and although there are been numerous
bugs (most vanilla code seems to run ok, there have been problems in
some convoluted stuff, and in large source files) in past releases,
things may be getting better.

Its being distributed in the US by
  IBUKI
  399 Main St.
  Los Altos, CA  94022
  (415) 949-1126

Canonical Disclaimer:
  I have no connection with this company whatever.  Indeed my copy of KCL came
from the folks at Kyoto.   This aint a recommendation or anything even
approaching one, its just an ephemeral activation of a few random neurons.

--
               O                   -- jefu
       tell me all about           -- UUCP: {rochester,edison}!steinmetz!putnam

kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (Scott Dorsey) (06/04/86)

>In article <615@wg3b20.UUCP> narayan@wg3b20.UUCP writes:
>
>Has anyone heard about LISP for the AT&T 3b
>machines. Any info in this area is appreceated

   XLISP 1.6 runs beautifully on the 3b20's and 3b2's with no modification.
It's not the largest LISP, it doesn't have the best debugging system, but
you can't beat it for the price.
--
-------
Disclaimer: Everything I say is probably a trademark of someone.  But

Scott Dorsey       " If value corrupts
kaptain_kludge         then absolute value corrupts absolutely"

ICS Programming Lab (Where old terminals go to die), Rich 110,
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 36681, Atlanta, Georgia 30332
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!kludge

mikel@codas.ATT.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (06/04/86)

>In article <615@wg3b20.UUCP> narayan@wg3b20.UUCP writes:
>>Has anyone heard about LISP for the AT&T 3b
>>machines. Any info in this area is appreceated
>
>You might check out Kyoto Common Lisp.  This is a Common Lisp written
>(almost) entirely in C and as such should be fairly portable.  You can
>get the source relatively cheaply and although there are been numerous
>bugs (most vanilla code seems to run ok, there have been problems in
>some convoluted stuff, and in large source files) in past releases,
>things may be getting better.
>
>                O                   -- jefu

There is of course, XLISP, which I understand is public domain,
and I have it running on a 3B2 SVR2.
--
			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
			...{seismo!akgua|ihnp4|cbosgd}!codas!mikel.ATT.UUCP

smh@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Steven Haflich) (06/20/86)

AT&T contracted Franz Inc to port both Franz Lisp and ExCL (Extended
Common Lisp) to the various 3b processors.  Franz is released, but the
3b ExCL port may still be in test.  Since the original requestor is at
an AT&T site, these ports may be available under special terms internal
to that organization.

I do technical work for Franz, but don't have marketing details.  You
can contact Franz Inc at (415)769-5656.