[net.unix] Computer Literacy Bookshop?

toddo@uhmanoa.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) (07/07/86)

Just got some catalogs in the mail from a place in Sunnyvale California called
"Computer Literacy Bookshop."  They have a good collection of hard to find
UNIX and MS-DOS books.  Has anyone out there ordered from this place?
How good are they in delivering what you order?  How prompt?  How accurate.
Any problems with overcharging credit cards, etc.?

Thanks..todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, University of Hawaii, Dept. of Psychology

UUCP:     {ihnp4,dual,vortex}!islenet!
				      \
                                ihnp4!__\__ uhmanoa!toddo
					/
      {backbone}!sdcsvax!noscvax!humu!/

ARPA: OGASAWARAT%HAW.SDSCNET@LLL-MFE.ARPA

** I used to be: ogasawar@nosc.ARPA & ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP

rlk@chinet.UUCP (Richard Klappal) (07/08/86)

In article <142@uhmanoa.UUCP> toddo@uhmanoa.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>Just got some catalogs in the mail from a place in Sunnyvale California called
>"Computer Literacy Bookshop."  They have a good collection of hard to find
>UNIX and MS-DOS books.  Has anyone out there ordered from this place?
>How good are they in delivering what you order?  How prompt?  How accurate.
>Any problems with overcharging credit cards, etc.?
>
>Thanks..todd
>
>--
>Todd Ogasawara, University of Hawaii, Dept. of Psychology
>
>UUCP:     {ihnp4,dual,vortex}!islenet!
>				      \
>                                ihnp4!__\__ uhmanoa!toddo
>					/
>      {backbone}!sdcsvax!noscvax!humu!/
>
>ARPA: OGASAWARAT%HAW.SDSCNET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
>
>** I used to be: ogasawar@nosc.ARPA & ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP

I have ordered from them several times in the past year with excellent
service/response (4-7 days - normal UPS delivery to suburban Chicago).
After getting a quotation of 12 weeks to order a book thru a local
bookstore, I tried them and had it in less than a week.

Standard disclaimers apply.

--
---
UUCP: ..!ihnp4!chinet!uklpl!rlk || MCIMail: rklappal || Compuserve: 74106,1021

dob@ihlpa.UUCP (Daniel M. O'Brien) (07/08/86)

> Just got some catalogs in the mail from a place in Sunnyvale California called
> "Computer Literacy Bookshop."  They have a good collection of hard to find
> UNIX and MS-DOS books.  Has anyone out there ordered from this place?
> How good are they in delivering what you order?  How prompt?  How accurate.
> Any problems with overcharging credit cards, etc.?

I have been to this store personally.  It is real.  It has thousands of
computer related books sitting on the shelf!  Can't vouch for mail order, but I
would guess that they are trustworthy.

Cheers,

--
			Daniel M. O'Brien (ihnp4!ihlpa!dob)
			AT&T Bell Laboratories

sml@wdl1.UUCP (07/08/86)

>Just got some catalogs in the mail from a place in Sunnyvale California called
>"Computer Literacy Bookshop."  They have a good collection of hard to find
>UNIX and MS-DOS books.  Has anyone out there ordered from this place?
>How good are they in delivering what you order?  How prompt?  How accurate.
>Any problems with overcharging credit cards, etc.?

I've never mail ordered from them because I can shop there myself.  Its
a great bookstore and I would expect no problems via mail order.

Steve Lazarus			(415) 852-4203
Ford Aerospace			...{fortune,sun}!wdl1!sml (UUCP)
MS X-20				sml@ford-wdl1	    (ARPA)
3939 Fabian Way
Palo Alto, CA  94303

dko@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP (Dan O'Neill) (07/08/86)

In article <142@uhmanoa.UUCP> toddo@uhmanoa.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>"Computer Literacy Bookshop."

Now this is a *great* bookstore.  I've never dealt with them on a mail
order basis, this must be something new, but I used to buy all of my computer
books at this store while I was a student.  They have an incredible selection
and their prices are lower than most other stores.  Let us (the net) know
how your order works out.  They are a very well managed book store, you
should have no trouble.

--
Dan O'Neill		uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|ucbvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!dko
(619) 587-3112		arpa: "calmasd!dko"@ucsd.arpa

cramer@sun.uucp (Sam Cramer) (07/09/86)

In article <142@uhmanoa.UUCP> toddo@uhmanoa.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>Just got some catalogs in the mail from a place in Sunnyvale California called
>"Computer Literacy Bookshop."  They have a good collection of hard to find
>UNIX and MS-DOS books.  Has anyone out there ordered from this place?
>How good are they in delivering what you order?  How prompt?  How accurate.
>Any problems with overcharging credit cards, etc.?

I've been a walk-in customer of Computer Literacy for quite a while.  It is
an excellent computer book store - in fact, it's the best I've seen.

I have never ordered anything by mail from CL.  However, I can attest to the
honesty and the forthrightness of the management.  I don't expect you'll have
any problems ordering by mail.

For whatever it's worth, CL handled all the book orders for the Whole Earth
Software Catalog.

--

Sam Cramer	uucp:	{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun!cramer
		arpanet: cramer@sun.com

connery@bnrmtv.UUCP (Glenn Connery) (07/09/86)

> Just got some catalogs in the mail from a place in Sunnyvale California called
> "Computer Literacy Bookshop."  They have a good collection of hard to find
> UNIX and MS-DOS books.  Has anyone out there ordered from this place?
> How good are they in delivering what you order?  How prompt?  How accurate.
> Any problems with overcharging credit cards, etc.?
>
> Thanks..todd
>
> --
> Todd Ogasawara, University of Hawaii, Dept. of Psychology
>
> UUCP:     {ihnp4,dual,vortex}!islenet!
> 				      \
>                                 ihnp4!__\__ uhmanoa!toddo
> 					/
>       {backbone}!sdcsvax!noscvax!humu!/
>
> ARPA: OGASAWARAT%HAW.SDSCNET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
>
> ** I used to be: ogasawar@nosc.ARPA & ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP

Since it is local, I can't comment about their mail order service, but if
its up to the standards set by the rest of their service, it should be
top notch.  Its a regular stop for me, the people are generally knowledgable,
and they get stuff in quickly.  Its the best computer book store I've
ever seen, bar none.
--

Glenn Connery, Bell Northern Research, Mountain View, CA
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!connery

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Praveen Kumar) (07/10/86)

Would somebody please post (or mail to me) the telephone number and/or
the address of the "Computer Literacy Book Store"?

Thanks,
pk
--
"Everybody wants a piece of pie, today," he said.
"You gotta watch the ones who always keep their hands clean."

phaedrus@eneevax.umd.edu or {seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!eneevax!phaedrus

suhina@kodak.UUCP (brian suhina) (07/10/86)

>>Just got some catalogs in the mail from a place in Sunnyvale California called
>>"Computer Literacy Bookshop."  They have a good collection of hard to find
>>UNIX and MS-DOS books.  Has anyone out there ordered from this place?
>I've been a walk-in customer of Computer Literacy for quite a while.  It is
>an excellent computer book store - in fact, it's the best I've seen.

Since this place has a good reputation, how about someone posting
their address for those of who haven't heard of them.

Thanks

Brian Suhina          ...!rochester!kodak!suhina

mitch@well.UUCP (Mitchell Waite) (07/10/86)

I have used Computer Literacy Bookstore
several times and I am impressed with
the responsiveness.  As an author of
Unix books I am especially happy with
CLB in that they carry large quantities
of all my books.  They will send
anything in stock by first class mail
and they have a great selection of
books.  I suggest everyone get a copy of
their catalog.

klee@sri-spam.ARPA (Ken Lee) (07/11/86)

>Just got some catalogs in the mail from a place in Sunnyvale California called
>"Computer Literacy Bookshop."  They have a good collection of hard to find
>UNIX and MS-DOS books.  Has anyone out there ordered from this place?

Several people have posted notes requesting a phone number for this place.
I'm sure AT&T information would gladly give it to you, but for those who'd
rather not use Ma Bell for voice, this is from the store's yellow pages ad:

	Open 7 days/week; mail orders, phone orders welcome
	America's largest computer bookstore
	10,000 professional and PC titles

	Computer Literacy Bookshop
	408-730-9955
	520 Lawrence Expressway, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

	2 blocks south of US 101, next to TOGO's

I don't work there.  I've never even been to the place.  After all this
discussion, I guess I should check it out.

dmm@calmasd.UUCP (07/11/86)

Sorry if I missed the beginning of this discussion, but what is
the address (local-direction type, mail order, & phone order)
of the Computer Literacy Bookshop?

N.B.  I have had success phone-ordering literary criticism from
      University Press Books in Berkeley (check (415) 555-1212 for #,
      my phonelist is at home).  If you're looking for technical
      books published by a university press, they might be a
      good source.  (Standard Disclaimers, & no gaurentee.)

                              David M. MacMillan, KB6MPN
 "If feather-dusters are      - UCSD [Lit & Muir Writing] (ex-UCSC/Crown)
 made of feathers, what are   - Calma/GE [Info-Sci] (ex IBM)
 crop-dusters made of?"       - UCSD Soaring Club
           - LM, 'cellist     - SSA, USHGA, ARRL