[net.unix] 4.3 BSD distribution lacking console media?

mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (System Mangler) (07/16/86)

We don't seem to have gotten a boot floppy or boot cassette
with our copy of 4.3bsd.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Don Speck	speck@vlsi.caltech.edu	seismo!cit-vax!speck

kjd@ucbvax.UUCP (07/16/86)

In article <806@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (System Mangler) writes:
> We don't seem to have gotten a boot floppy or boot cassette
> with our copy of 4.3bsd.  Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> Don Speck	speck@vlsi.caltech.edu	seismo!cit-vax!speck

If you are a new licensee of Berkeley Unix and pay $1000 you get the complete
kit including the console media.  If you are just upgrading from 4.2bsd to
4.3bsd and pay $600 you only get the tape and updated manuals.

However, the difference in price is not just the console media.
For new licensee Berkeley has to do more paper work, such as verify you are
actually licenced with AT&T.  This is where the extra cost is incured.

-Kevin

Kevin Dunlap					kjd@ucbarpa.Berkeley.Edu
UC Berkeley CSRG    415/643-6449		ucbvax!kjd  (uucp)

mangler@cit-vax.UUCP (07/16/86)

summary of responses:

There are two distributions of 4.3 bsd, one for new sites, and one for
existing 4.2 sites.  The latter does not come with a console floppy
or cassette; you're supposed to use the ones that came with 4.2.

That's fine for my machines, but it doesn't work with RA disks (the
partitions are all different), as one group here has already found
out and kludged around.  I guess I need to make up a cassette for
the groups lacking that expertise (i.e, almost everyone with RA's).

Don Speck	speck@vlsi.caltech.edu	seismo!cit-vax!speck

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (07/17/86)

/ wdl1:net.unix / mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (System Mangler) /  7:42 pm  Jul 15, 1986 /
]We don't seem to have gotten a boot floppy or boot cassette
]with our copy of 4.3bsd.  Has anyone else had this problem?

You can use the 4.2 boot tape/floppy with 4.3 (if you have one...)

				Sam Kimery
				kimery@ford-wdl1
				inhp4!sun!wdl1!kimery