[net.unix] converting a tm struct. into seconds

brahms@spp5.UUCP (07/18/86)

Could someone please either post or send me the formula (in c hopefully)
for changing a tm struct back into the number of seconds since 00:00:00,
GMT, Jan 1, 1970?  Thanx.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (07/21/86)

> Could someone please either post or send me the formula (in c hopefully)
> for changing a tm struct back into the number of seconds since 00:00:00,
> GMT, Jan 1, 1970?  Thanx.

I presume you have UNIX source available; if so, try looking at the "date"
command, which converts times specified in roughly the same form into UNIX
times.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com (or guy@sun.arpa)

rlk@chinet.UUCP (Richard Klappal) (07/23/86)

In article <123@spp5.UUCP> brahms@spp5.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) writes:
>Could someone please either post or send me the formula (in c hopefully)
>for changing a tm struct back into the number of seconds since 00:00:00,
>GMT, Jan 1, 1970?  Thanx.

Marc Rochkind's book on advanced un*x programming has a 2 page+/-
routine to convert a date (yymmddhhmmss) into seconds.  The mods
to handle the tm_ struct would be trivial.

--
---
UUCP: ..!ihnp4!chinet!uklpl!rlk || MCIMail: rklappal || Compuserve: 74106,1021