[net.unix] Need:"awk" references & indexing utility source

dph@lanl.ARPA (David P Huelsbeck) (07/26/86)

	I've been using "awk" extensively of late, and I've exhausted my
available reference material. Does anyone know of a reference on awk that
goes beyond what can be found in K&P and _Unix Programmer's Manual_ ?

	Also, does anyone have the source code for a utility for creating
indexes for UNIX text files?

Thanks in advance.

Mail replies to: ...!lanl!dph

zben@umd5 (Ben Cranston) (07/27/86)

In article <5767@lanl.ARPA> dph@lanl.ARPA (David P Huelsbeck) writes:

>	I've been using "awk" extensively of late, and I've exhausted my
>available reference material. Does anyone know of a reference on awk that
>goes beyond what can be found in K&P and _Unix Programmer's Manual_ ?

There is a short document floating around.  If nobody sends it to you,
drop me a line and I will put it someplace you can anonymous FTP from...

p.s. don't believe that umd5.umd.edu.UUCP up there, just use umd5.umd.edu

--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland Sperrows 1100/92

> 	I've been using "awk" extensively of late, and I've exhausted my
> available reference material. Does anyone know of a reference on awk that
> goes beyond what can be found in K&P and _Unix Programmer's Manual_ ?

There is a recent Bell Labs Computer Science Tech Report -- unfortunately
I don't recall the number -- which is the programmer's manual for the V8
awk.  The manual has assorted V8isms which you have to ignore if you're
using the V7 awk, but is still a far better awk manual than anything
else yet published.
--
EDEC:  Stupidly non-standard
brain-damaged incompatible	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology