[net.unix] vmstat output

phyllis@bcsaic.UUCP (08/02/86)

I'm examining system performance on an Ultrix 1.2 system.  The output
from 'vmstat' includes 'active virtual pages' (avm) and 'free pages'
(fre).  Can someone explain to me how to interpret this information?
I've seen values ranging from 313/5164 (avm/fre) to 5219/2677.
Obviously a higher avm means more memory activity; but, beyond such
obvious interpretations, I don't know what to make of these numbers.
My appreciation in advance....

--
Phyllis Melvin
Boeing Advanced Technology Center

In article <633@bcsaic.UUCP> phyllis@bcsaic.UUCP writes:
>I'm examining system performance on an Ultrix 1.2 system.  The output
>from 'vmstat' includes 'active virtual pages' (avm) and 'free pages'
>(fre).  Can someone explain to me how to interpret this information?

`Active virtual memory' is the sum of the virtual sizes of all
`active' processes.  Here an active process is defined as one that
is running, waiting for `fast' I/O (e.g., disk read), or asleep
but not for more than twenty seconds.  `Free pages' are those pages
that are not allocated to any process.  The machine begins paging
whenever free space gets low enough (`low enough' depends on your
configuration, and on any kernel fixes you may have installed).
The `sweep rate' (sr) goes up, and page outs (po) and reclaims (re)
begin to occur.  If the deficit (de) becomes nonzero the machine
is `desperate' for real memory.  If the paging rate is `high enough',
or the system is `desperate', it will begin swapping.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris