[net.unix] BSD support

ucscb.bitbug@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (07/13/86)

Much has been said about how badly UC Berkeley supports BSD 4.x.
My question is: how well do BSD licensees such as Mt. Xinu and
others support BSD Unix? If BSD is badly supported by everyone,
fine, but nowhere have I seen mention of third party vendors
in flames about BSD support.

James Buster
ucscc!ucscb.bitbug@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (07/15/86)

/ wdl1:net.unix / ucscb.bitbug@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU /  5:24 am  Jul 13, 1986 /

#Much has been said about how badly UC Berkeley supports BSD 4.x.
#My question is: how well do BSD licensees such as Mt. Xinu and
#others support BSD Unix? If BSD is badly supported by everyone,
#fine, but nowhere have I seen mention of third party vendors
#in flames about BSD support.

Strange, I don't remember anything about support in the 4.x BSD
license agreement.

Try Mt. Xinu.  They are in the business of supporting 4.x BSD.

ables@mcc-pp.UUCP (King Ables) (07/18/86)

You might be interested to know that Mt. Xinu only supports
4.3BSD to the extent that they want to.  Their contract says
if they make mods or bug fixes, they can send them to customers,
but if they don't make any bug fixes, that's ok, too.  'course,
that's a lot more support than you'll get from Berkeley
(0.0001 > 0).

-King
ARPA: ables@mcc.arpa
UUCP: {gatech,ihnp4,nbires,seismo,ucbvax}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!mcc-pp!ables
---
"And in our top 10 list of body parts and Van Pattens, we have a tie
at number one.... Richard."  -Dave

chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (07/20/86)

In article <1132@mcc-pp.UUCP> ables@mcc-pp.UUCP (King Ables) writes:
>You might be interested to know that Mt. Xinu only supports
>4.3BSD to the extent that they want to.  Their contract says
>if they make mods or bug fixes, they can send them to customers,
>but if they don't make any bug fixes, that's ok, too.

How does this differ from the support provided from any other
company?  One trusts a company to fix bugs because one knows the
company will not last long if said company does not, not because
the company has somehow promised to do so.

>'course, that's a lot more support than you'll get from Berkeley
>(0.0001 > 0).

Actually, Berkeley does provide a rather amazing amount of support,
considering that they have no particular need to do so.  I recall
a time a few years ago trying to bring 4.1 up on a 750 with only
an RA81 drive.  We got a boot sequence over the phone to read the
tape, and some similar stuff, and wasted about two hours on that
before discovering that the system had its UDA50 at a non-standard
address . . . .
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris

rex@usgs3-vms.arpa (07/23/86)

One more item on Mt Xinu's support of BSD.  I've repeatedly asked about support
for Fortran (no groaning please).  Their usual answer is something like
"we don't really support Fortran 'cause no one here is into Fortran".
Since we literally have hundreds of thousands of lines of Fortran here,
and the 4.2 f77 was essentially shipped broken (later fixed - thanks again
Donn Seeley & friends), Mt Xinu did not get our business.

-- Rex

mwm@mica.berkeley.edu (Mike Meyer) (08/03/86)

Am I the only person who has had good experiences with Mt. Xinu? We
bought a binary from them, and got quick response to problems, almost
always new software by UUCP or over-night mail. Occasionally, we got
"We don't do that, and never claimed to" (which was invariably
correct). However, even in those cases, things weren't hopeless. To
wit:

In article <2489@brl-smoke.ARPA> rex@usgs3-vms.arpa writes:
>One more item on Mt Xinu's support of BSD.  I've repeatedly asked about support
>for Fortran (no groaning please).  Their usual answer is something like
>"we don't really support Fortran 'cause no one here is into Fortran".
>Since we literally have hundreds of thousands of lines of Fortran here,
>and the 4.2 f77 was essentially shipped broken (later fixed - thanks again
>Donn Seeley & friends), Mt Xinu did not get our business.

I recognize that problem; that's the shape we were in. I recommended
we run VMS instead of Unix because of the thousands of lines of
FORTRAN, and only stopped objecting loudly to Unix after I got a look
at the "new, improved f77" that was floating around at the time
(mid-83).

When the stock 4.2 f77 proved to be unusable, I talked to Donn Seeley
& Mt Xinu, and viola - Mt Xinu got a tape from Donn, and shipped me
binaries of the new version (which Donn couldn't do because of
screwiness in the AT&T license). Worked much better, and everyone was
happy (thanx again, Donn).

We only had one problem that didn't get resolved to everybodies
satisfaction, and that involved some kernel mods specifically for us,
for which Mt. Xinu wanted far to much money. I have no problems
recommending Mt. Xinu to people based on our experiences.

	<mike

brad@gcc-milo.ARPA (Brad Parker) (08/04/86)

> Am I the only person who has had good experiences with Mt. Xinu?...
> 	<mike

No, you're not the only one. We've used Mt.Xinu for a few years to support
our Unix systems. I've always been very pleased with their service and
support. We don't use Fortran, so I can't comment on that.

I've found them easy to work with and very willing to make changes in
our configuration and then uucp a new kernel. (We're a binary only site).
These days they ship a reconfigurable kernel. That's all I ever wanted
(except source ;-) Also, their "BSD bug list" seems very complete and
they seem to address the things on it in a timely manner (our  Mt.  Xinu
unix is the only unix (out of 5) which has a dumb rwho bug fixed)
--

J Bradford Parker
General Computer (HyperDrive Beach, 3rd Cabana)

Good Sex is easier than a good slow roll. ("Left Stick! Right Rudder!...")