[net.unix] Big Unix Systems

fordyce@ti-csl (08/01/86)

(I am relatively new to the net, so if a similar request went out on
the net in the not-so-recent past, please bear with me.)

In the past several months in various notes files, I have seen
requests for, and responses containing, opinions regarding the "most
mips per buck", the "best" systems to support 15-30 users, etc.

What about *bigger* UNIX systems ?  (i.e., systems to support on the
order of 80-160 simultaneous users).  Such a machine would be required
to support a relatively heavy load (with minimally degraded system
performance and response) produced by 40-60 interactive users (a lot
of text editting using gnuemacs, a lot of TeX / LaTeX executions,
etc.), as well as to provide support for approximately 100 single-user
workstations file-serving off the host via ethernet.

We are considering the purchase of such a system...if a suitable
system can be found.  I (and my management) would be interested in
hearing other sites' experiences, comments, problems, complaints,
warnings, etc., with respect to UNIX systems of this size (for
example, systems such as Gould, Alliant FX8, Harris HCX, DEC 8600(+),
etc. -- any omissions were not intentional ... these systems just
came to mind).

I will be glad to forward my collected responses to anyone who
requests them.

Regards, David Fordyce

ARPANET:	fordyce%ti-csl@csnet-relay
CSNET:		fordyce@ti-csl
USENET:		{ut-sally,convex!smu,texsun}!ti-csl!fordyce

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (08/07/86)

In article <17700004@ti-csl> fordyce@ti-csl.UUCP writes:
>In the past several months in various notes files, I have seen
>requests for, and responses containing, opinions regarding the "most
>mips per buck", the "best" systems to support 15-30 users, etc.
>
>What about *bigger* UNIX systems ?  (i.e., systems to support on the
>order of 80-160 simultaneous users).

If you look at my organization line, you'll note right off that I am
biased.  With that said...  Tolerant Systems sells a Unix based system
which meets your requirements.  The system starts around a VAX 780 in
power and grows very large through the addition of processors, disks,
I/O channels, communications front ends, etc.  It is based on a mix of
both tightly and loosely coupled processors.  Regardless of the number
of nodes involved, a global name space presents a single system image
to all users and processes.

The largest SINGLE system installed to date employs 33 nodes, each
containing at least 4 processors.  The system is used to access an 80
GB (thats right, billion) database.  Note also that raw device access
is not necessary for performance or data integrity (standard Unix file
systems are used - this is a Unix system, not a Unix based front end
for something else).  There are up to 7,000 on-line users (generating
2.2 million transactions per day, at an average of 55 per second).  The
system is also fully fault tolerant.  I don't personally know of any
other single (SYS V / BSD) Unix system this large (but would appreciate
hearing of any that come close...   I'm interested in actually
installed customer sites, not marketing claims).

For more info, call Tolerant at (408) 946-5667.
--
UUCP:	...ihnp4!akgua!rebel!george
	...{hplabs,seismo}!gatech!rebel!george