[net.unix] new UNIX book

jack@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP (Jack Campin) (08/06/86)

I just spotted this in the local university bookshop:

    The Design of the UNIX Operating System
    Maurice J. Bach
    Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0 13 201799 7, costs a bundle.

Anyone out there read it yet?
Is it any good?
Does it add much to what's in Comer's book?
--
Department of Computing Science       JANET:  jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs
University of Glasgow                 USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk

dan@rsch.wisc.edu (Daniel M. Frank) (08/08/86)

In article <674@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP> jack@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP (Jack Campin) writes:
>I just spotted this in the local university bookshop:
>
>    The Design of the UNIX Operating System
>    Maurice J. Bach
>    Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0 13 201799 7, costs a bundle.
>
>Anyone out there read it yet?
>Is it any good?
>Does it add much to what's in Comer's book?

   I bought it, and I think it's a pretty good introduction.  I needed to
do some light kernel hacking, and found it a very helpful overview of the
areas I was working on.  It contains general information on data structures
and algorithms in System V and some other, and some intro to new Release 3
features.

   I don't know Comer's book, so I can't compare the two.

------

      Dan Frank

	  Q: What's the difference between an Apple MacIntosh
	     and an Etch-A-Sketch?

	  A: You don't have to shake the Mac to clear the screen.

stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) (08/09/86)

Expires:

In article <674@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP> jack@glasgow.glasgow.UUCP (Jack Campin) writes:
-I just spotted this in the local university bookshop:
-    The Design of the UNIX Operating System
-    Maurice J. Bach
-    Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0 13 201799 7, costs a bundle.
-Anyone out there read it yet?
-Is it any good?
-Does it add much to what's in Comer's book?

I'm about 1/4 the way thru it; highly recomended!!!  I've also got
Comer's book, which is also good, but not really unix.  This is heavily
slanted towards sys5 with some bsd thrown in and very up-to-date (sys5.3,
bsd4.3).  Well worth the money.
--
Stu Heiss {ihnp4!jpusa1!stu}

dwight@scc.UUCP ( Microport) (08/11/86)

--
>Stu Heiss {ihnp4!jpusa1!stu}

I agree completely with Stu. This book is very good; though it doesn't
go into enough detail in some areas. Personally, I would've liked to
have seen a more in-depth treatment of device drivers. But it is well
worth the ~$40.

We are recommending this book to people who want to use our linkkit,
to develop their own UNIX device drivers.

If you are a college student, and want to get an in-depth education
in the internals of UNIX, you should get this book, an IBM AT,
and a copy of our System V source code for the AT (from your university).
You can then explore UNIX to your heart's content.

I wish I had this back in the V6/V7 days. We should start seeing much
more sophisticated graduates in the years to come. If John Dvorak thought
that hell broke loose in the early 80's, he ain't seen nothing yet!!

	Dwight Leu 	{ihnp4, amd, hplabs}!pesnta!scc!dwight
	Microport Systems

Live free or die!