[net.unix] UNIX v.3 Query

vacca@burdvax.UUCP (Dave Vacca) (08/26/86)

There is much discussion about the merits of UNIX Sys V.3.
We here would like to know if there exists a living, breathing
machine available NOW to run this latest version of UNIX,
a machine which we could see demo-ed and upon which we could run
comparitive benchmarks to determine V.3 performance.

(We do realize, of course, that AT&T has only recently announced V.3.
But maybe there is an AT&T box out there which could fill the bill.)

If anyone knows of such a machine, please give me the word.  Post the info
to the net or send mail to burdvax!asgdtn!gary.

Thanks.

Gary L Barrett
Burroughs Corporation
ESDC/DTN
Downingtown, PA 19335

ries@trwrb.UUCP (Marc Ries) (08/27/86)

In article <2618@burdvax.UUCP> vacca@burdvax.UUCP (Dave Vacca) writes:

>There is much discussion about the merits of UNIX Sys V.3.
>We here would like to know if there exists a living, breathing
>machine available NOW to run this latest version of UNIX,
>a machine which we could see demo-ed and upon which we could run
>comparitive benchmarks to determine V.3 performance.
>
>(We do realize, of course, that AT&T has only recently announced V.3.
>But maybe there is an AT&T box out there which could fill the bill.)
>
>If anyone knows of such a machine, please give me the word.  Post the info
>to the net or send mail to burdvax!asgdtn!gary.
>
>Thanks.
>

>Gary L Barrett
>Burroughs Corporation
>ESDC/DTN
>Downingtown, PA 19335

   While I don't claim to know what's on ATT's mind,  I  do  know
   that  System  V,  Release  3 *does* run on their 3B2/400 line,
   because I have one on my desk that is running SVR3!

   Supposidly, SVR3 was developed on the 400 line, and  ports  to
   the 3B5/15 line are not due out until early next year.  FWIW.

		Marc A. Ries
		TRW Electronics and Defense Sector
		...{sdcrdcf,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!ries