[net.unix] IBM

gjc@datlog.co.uk ( Gary Clark ) (09/05/86)

I have been asked to investigate the possibility of connecting
our Vax 11/750 running System V.2, to our in house IBM machine,
which runs VM.  We have an asynch controller for the IBM machine,
as well as 3270 emulators avialable (via a PABX), and the vax
has a DHU-11 mutliplexor.   The IBM machine does not run a version
of IX/370 (or any other type of Unix for that matter).

What we are looking to do is to have some reliable mechanism (like
uucp on a good day) to transfer files between the two machines, over
a serial, asynchronous connection preferably.
I realise that porting UUCP is a possiblity, but likely to be quite
difficult due to the problems of emulating the UNIX system calls etc.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on this matter.
I am interested in anything! From pointers to documents which
cover this sort of issue, or indeed to any products
or source (either commercial or PD) which already implement such
a system.

To carry this further,  my ultimate aim is to interface to the
IBM PROFS system (PRofessional Office System) which handles email,
memos, document preparation etc.  Has anyone out there tread along
this path already?  Again any help in this area will be most
gratefully received.

As always, if there is sufficient interest, I will summarise the
replies to the net.
--
Regards,
	    Gary Clark

EMAIL:	<gjc@datlog.co.uk> or < ... !mcvax!ukc!{stc,stl}!datlog!gjc >
MAIL:	Data Logic Ltd., Queens House, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 1YR, UK.
PHONE:	+44 1 863 0383 (x2210)

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (09/07/86)

From: gjc@datlog.co.uk ( Gary Clark )
>I have been asked to investigate the possibility of connecting
>our Vax 11/750 running System V.2, to our in house IBM machine,
>which runs VM.  We have an asynch controller for the IBM machine,
>as well as 3270 emulators avialable (via a PABX), and the vax
>has a DHU-11 mutliplexor.   The IBM machine does not run a version
>of IX/370 (or any other type of Unix for that matter).

You can get Kermit for CMS (and UNIX) from Columbia and probably have
it up in less than an hour, but that's a 'personal' file transfer
thing and may not be general enough for you.

You can get Bitnet for both systems, UREP (from UPENN?) and standard
Bitnet for your VM system, it will require a synch line for each
system (hmm, does UREP work on SYSV?)

You can get TCP/IP for your SYSV system, and an ethernet board,
and get one of a few TCP/IP implementations for VM (IBM: WiscNet,
Spartacus KNET, I think ACC has something also.) This of course
is not cheap (tho not horrendous) but it can be very good.

As far as interfacing PROFs goes, you should probably speak to
IBM, probably Bitnet is the right thing to start with. You also
might try a query to IBM-NETS@BITNIC.BITNET. There's also the RJE
stuff for SYSV but I know nothing about it or what it requires.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

henry@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) (09/07/86)

In article <1180@bu-cs.bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>You can get Bitnet for both systems, UREP (from UPENN?) and standard
>Bitnet for your VM system, it will require a synch line for each
>system (hmm, does UREP work on SYSV?)

UREP comes from the Pennsylvania State University in State College, PA
-- NOT the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.  The last time
I inquired about such things I spoke with <dae@psuvax1> but he may no
longer work there; a note to <postmaster@psuvax1> will probably reach
the right people.

(NOTE: those addresses listed above (@psuvax1) are bitnet addresses;
from the Internet you should send via wiscvm.wisc.edu; from uucp you
can send directly to psuvax1 as it is also a UUCP site.)

An ex-employee of the University of Pennsylvania,
Henry Mensch     |   Technical Writer  | MIT/Project Athena
henry@athena.mit.edu          ..!mit-eddie!mit-athena!henry

dave@dlb.UUCP (Dave Buck) (09/11/86)

For file transfer, I'd suggest a synchronous link to the IBM, and
either BSC or SNA batch-mode connections.  The standard rje mechanism
allows you to send and receive files readily (some shell scripts may
be required to customize for your intentions) to standard IBM
synchronous software.  As I understand it, to use an asynch connection,
there'd have to be a Series/1 frontending the IBM, so synch is probably
cheaper.  TCP/IP is probably the perfect solution, but needs to be
implemented on both ends.
Besides AT&T's rje communications package, there are other commercial
packages for BSC and SNA connections; my company is a supplier of such
products for many UNIX-based machines (there are others, obviously!).
PROFS is based on IBM's SNA Logical Unit 6.2; AT&T is rumored to be
finishing up an interface for LU 6.2 (details unknown to me).
My company has existing LU 6.2 software, but at the moment it interfaces
to IBM's DISOSS, a distant relative to PROFS (and of course, PROFS
interface will come from us some time in the future!).
--
Dave Buck		ihnp4!amdahl!dlb!dave		(408)972-2825
D.L.Buck&Assoc.,Inc.	6920 Santa Teresa Blvd.		San Jose, Calif.95119