[net.unix] suggestion box needed

brahms@spp5.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) (09/04/86)

[}{]
I've been trying to stay away from someone here while she is writting an
anonymous suggestion box program to run on one of the Pyramids.  However,
she is having problems with it and I don't really feel like looking at her
shell script.  Therefore, has anyone implemented some sort of anonymous
suggestion box?  I thought about using news or the mh mail system but see
no way of making the suggestions truly anonymous.  Am I missing something
really simple?Also, a separate anonymous account is not acceptable in the
environment the Pyramid is in.  Thanx for any help provided.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP (09/11/86)

If you're willing to set up a notesfile on your system, notes supports
anonymous notes. It requires entries for 'notes' and 'anon' in your password
file, but neither needs to be passwordless. You just need to turn on
anonymous notes in the notesfile.

If the suggestion box isn't meant to be read by most of your users, you even
disguise the fact that it's going to a notesfile (some people really freak
at the mere mention of notes) by using nfpipe. Just build a front-end that
throws them into an editor to write up their suggestion and ships the result
off to the notesfile with nfprint -a (-a to make it anonymous).

Of course, someone who is determined to find out who submitted a suggestion
can always go through accounting files to find out who was running nfprint
at the time the note was submitted.

"Our first order of business will be to find a deranged alchemist, which
should not be very difficult. China," said Master Li, "is overstocked
with deranged alchemists."
Barry Hughart, *Bridge of Birds*		Wombat
					ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat

In article <333@spp5.UUCP> brahms@spp5.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) writes:
>I've been trying to stay away from someone here while she is writting an
>anonymous suggestion box program to run on one of the Pyramids.  However,
>she is having problems with it and I don't really feel like looking at her
>shell script.  Therefore, has anyone implemented some sort of anonymous
>suggestion box?  I thought about using news or the mh mail system but see
>no way of making the suggestions truly anonymous.  Am I missing something
>really simple?Also, a separate anonymous account is not acceptable in the
>environment the Pyramid is in.  Thanx for any help provided.
>- Brad Brahms usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms

I'm not sure that that meets your criteria with reagards to anonymous
accounts, but what I do is set up an account where the 'shell' specified
in /etc/passwd is just a script that types out a little introduction,
then runs 'rmail destination'.  I don't know of any security problems with
this, although there must be some...

Example:

: simple message script
echo "Type in your suggestion: "
echo "end with control/d or ."
/bin/rmail root

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr