[net.unix] Question about cpio vs. tar

tim@oucs.UUCP (Tim Thompson) (04/30/86)

I've been reading the discussion about the shortcomings of multiple tape
backups in cpio format. Does tar handle multiple tapes better?
I'm the SA for a PDP-11/70 running SysVr2, and currently keep two sets of
weekly backups: one in volcopy format for quick recovery of an entire file
system, and the other in cpio format to recover a single file or groups
of files. But with the problems I've read about cpio in this newsgroup,
I have a question: Would I be well-advised to switch from cpio backups
to tar backups ? Any and all comments and opinions are welcome via e-mail.
Thanks in advance.

--
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
Tim Thompson  414 Morton Hall  Ohio University  Athens, Ohio  45701

greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) (05/02/86)

In article <236@oucs.UUCP> tim@oucs.UUCP (Tim Thompson) writes:
>I've been reading the discussion about the shortcomings of multiple tape
>backups in cpio format. Does tar handle multiple tapes better?

Last I looked, tar didn't handle multiple reels at all.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg@ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg@nosc.ARPA

SofPasuk@imagen.UUCP (05/04/86)

> In article <236@oucs.UUCP> tim@oucs.UUCP (Tim Thompson) writes:
> >I've been reading the discussion about the shortcomings of multiple tape
> >backups in cpio format. Does tar handle multiple tapes better?
>
> Last I looked, tar didn't handle multiple reels at all.
> --

... Depends upon the "flavor" of Eunuchs.  Some SysV porters "fixed" their
versions of "cpio" to handle multiple volumes of media.  One good example
is Convergent Technologies in CTIX ...

tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) (05/07/86)

] Last time I looked, "tar" doesn't handle multiple

In fact, if you are willing to specify the volume size in advance
(either in feet & trust it, or in K), "tar" will happily close the
device (rewind tape generally happens around here) and prompt you
for a new volume.

No standard tape labels or anything of the sort, of course.

					tanner andrews, systems
					compudata south, deland
--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews

cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Christopher Young) (05/08/86)

> In article <236@oucs.UUCP> tim@oucs.UUCP (Tim Thompson) writes:
> >I've been reading the discussion about the shortcomings of multiple tape
> >backups in cpio format. Does tar handle multiple tapes better?
>
> Last I looked, tar didn't handle multiple reels at all.
> --
When did you look last? I've used multiple tar with multiple tapes
plenty of times. I haven't had any problems.

If I were doing backups of the system, however, I'd be more inclined to
use dump and restore.

I can't say I'm terribly fond of cpio, however when using streaming tape
on a 3b2, tar does weird things so that it takes much longer than cpio.
Cpio works better in that case.

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (05/16/86)

In article <355@imagen.UUCP> SofPasuk@imagen.UUCP writes:
>> In article <236@oucs.UUCP> tim@oucs.UUCP (Tim Thompson) writes:
>> >I've been reading the discussion about the shortcomings of multiple tape
>> >backups in cpio format. Does tar handle multiple tapes better?
>>
>> Last I looked, tar didn't handle multiple reels at all.
>> --
>
>... Depends upon the "flavor" of Eunuchs.  Some SysV porters "fixed" their
>versions of "cpio" to handle multiple volumes of media.  One good example
>is Convergent Technologies in CTIX ...

How true! Xenix/286 asks for the device name of the continuation device when
cpio runs out of room on the output device (I can understand that). The
AT&T 7300 tells me to press EXIT to stop or ENTER when the next disk is
mounted. This implies that it is getting the device name of sysout.

The Xenix method is fine if you wnat to switch between two devices to make
the process go faster (assuming that you can type the device name faster
than changing the media).
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
       /                               \
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
       \                               /
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"

tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) (05/19/86)

Assuming that you have a reasonable idea of the amount of data which
may be placed on the disk, xenix (80286 sys3, sys5) will accept a "k"
in the control keyword.  This allows specificiation of the size of
the output volume; you will then be prompted "tar: mount next volume"
and may do the reasonable thing.

This also works with using removable disks as a back-up medium.
Better speed may be obtained by specifying a blocking factor which is
an integral multiple of the cylinder size (or sub-multiple, if your
"tar" doesn't malloc() its buffer).
--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews

rick@potpourri.UUCP (09/19/86)