[net.unix] Porting UNIX Applications to th

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (09/17/86)

/* Written  5:40 pm  Sep 15, 1986 by wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.Caltech.Edu in net.unix */
> Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
> Considering my experiences with vi (holding the up/down/left/right keys
> causes some versions to delete random snatches of text) this is the
> most hilarious thing i've ever heard. When I'm programming  the thing I
> do most often is move around in the file. You cant tell me that
> pointing and clicking with the mouse isn't faster then banging away on
> random cursor keys.
----------
I can't speak to vi (I REFUSE to speak to vi...), but I find that
emacs on Unix is a much more productive environment than the mac
for me.  I haven't used a mouse extensively in any other environment;
perhaps with a much larger screen and a much faster processor it
could compete.  A mouse is very handy for some things, but when
I move around in files during programming, it is almost always
(1) among a small number of specific points (where I can leave
markers and hop around with two keystrokes) or (2) to places I
can identify by content, to which search will get me much faster
than moving to the scroll bar, sliding around to the right
piece of the file and rolling to the right place on the screen.
I WOULD like a mouse interface in addition -- moving around the
"current screen" with cursor keys is a pain (though many
movements are one or two lines and faster by key), but I would
hate to have the mouse as my only movement option.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana

carroll@snail.CS.UIUC.EDU (09/27/86)

Not quite. Touch typists (such as my self) will gain a lot from Dvorak
keysets too. I think it would be great to have Dvorak the standard instead
of this ridiculous QWERTY thing.

> ... Touch typists (such as my self) will gain a lot from Dvorak
> keysets too...

Really?  No impartial investigator has ever found more than about a 10-15%
speedup for the Dvorak keyboard.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology