[net.unix] TELEX for UNIX system

root@mprvaxa.UUCP (10/11/86)

We would like to put our TELEX machine on the VAX11/780 UNIX 4.2 system.
Would anyone tell me where I can get the software and hardware to put
the TELEX line interface to the ttys.

I understand UNITECH has a software package called S-TELEX, but they don't
sell it anymore (we have to buy it direct from UK, no thank you).  Is there
any other similar software available on the market?

William Luk
Microtel Pacific Research
8999 Nelson Way
Burnaby, BC
Canada  V5A 4B5
TEL: (604)- 294-1471 EXT.5240

mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (J.M.Berkley - Computing Services) (10/13/86)

In article <785@mprvaxa.UUCP> root@mprvaxa.UUCP (Microtel) writes:
>We would like to put our TELEX machine on the VAX11/780 UNIX 4.2 system.
>Would anyone tell me where I can get the software and hardware to put
>the TELEX line interface to the ttys.

BE CAREFUL!!

There are (apparently) actual hardware differences between telex in
the US, telex in Canada, etc.  The company that I used to work for
wanted to attach a telex machine to our PDP11/44 last year, but we
found that we couldn't just buy the cheap, inexpensive versions from
other companies, we had to use the canadian version.  Their sales
volume is, of course, lower than in the US, so the machines are more
expensive.

And the selection is much smaller.  The only machine that I could find
(that would do what you want to do) is only available from a company in
Ottawa.  Most of the others are only for PC clones, such as plug-in
cards, etc.  There is a company in Vancouver that specializes in Telex
and they were able to help me quite a bit (you can find them in the
yellow pages).  You have to be a little careful of them as they will
probably try to sell you one of their beasties, which won't hook up to
your Vax in the manner you want.

The box from this company in Ottawa will actually buffer things up for
you Vax, and do other nice things.  It's only about $1600.  I'm sorry
that I don't have their name, but I've since left the company in
Victoria to return to University.

I hope that this helps (a little).  Please reply (e-mail) if I can be
of further assistance.

Mike Berkley