[net.unix] ATT SVR3 distribution

mitchell@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (10/03/86)

From what I understand, SVR3 does not come with a machine readable version
of the system manual pages for on-line man pages and a on-line record of
changes/enhansements made to the system.  I've always thought that this
was one of the most efficient things about the UNIX development/operating
environment.

I am suprised at this because I understand that until release 3 on-line
man pages came with ATT distributions (especially with a source distribution
like we got), and now the only references that I have are the physical manuals.

An ATT sales representitive told me that the new ASSIST software in SVR3
would somehow be a replacement for and even better than on-line man pages.

ASSIST does not support "help" with any of the programming system/library
calls that I OFTEN need, it only can help with shell commands (an a subset
at that!).

I (personaly) just see that ATT could have been more considerate of developers
that are makeing THEIR system valuable by not throwing away facilities that we
take as being part of our development environment.

I see this as being another obsticle that I have to work around (as if I dont
have enough just developing a system).

							Sincerely,

							Mitchell

ron@vsedev.VSE.COM (Ron Flax) (10/06/86)

In article <4326@brl-smoke.ARPA> cadovax!mitchell@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (Mitchell Lerner) writes:

>From what I understand, SVR3 does not come with a machine readable version
>of the system manual pages for on-line man pages and a on-line record of
>changes/enhansements made to the system.  I've always thought that this
>was one of the most efficient things about the UNIX development/operating
>environment.

From what I understand the on-line manual was struck from the roster
in SVR2, but *WAS* part of SVR1.  For AT&T: Why????

It should at least be part of the source distribution, if not binary.
Unless of couse AT&T would like to send sites copies of the manuals for
each of the users on a given system.  Not likely.

--
ron@vsedev.VSE.COM	(Ron Flax)
UUCP:	..!seismo!vsedev!ron

guy@sun.UUCP (10/07/86)

> From what I understand the on-line manual was struck from the roster
> in SVR2, but *WAS* part of SVR1.

Script started on Tue Oct  7 10:19:26 1986
gorodish$ cd /archbeluga/s5r2/usr/man
gorodish$ ls
a_man	p_man	u_man
gorodish$ ls u_man
man1	man6
gorodish$ ls u_man/man6
arithmetic.6	chess.6		intro.6		moo.6		sky.6
back.6		craps.6		jotto.6		quiz.6		ttt.6
bj.6		hangman.6	maze.6		reversi.6	wump.6
gorodish$

script done on Tue Oct  7 10:19:54 1986

So it seems that, at least in the VAX S5R2 ("Version 1") distribution, the
on-line manual was supplied.  It may not have been present in other
distributions (e.g. a 3B2 binary distribution, although it may have been an
add-on package there), but it certainly wasn't completely removed in S5R2.
(Note that to make the non-"catman" form of the pages useful in an S5R2
system, you have to have the Documenter's Workbench or the S5R1 versions of
"nroff" or "troff"; "nroff" and "troff" were not supplied as a standard part
of S5R2.)
--
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com (or guy@sun.arpa)

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (10/12/86)

Ok Guy (and others from SUN), here's a question that you cannot answer
because policy does not permit it at this time and all that, but answer
it anyhow, we won't tell...

When SUN et al migrates to a compatible 4.2/SYSV utility base will part
of that migration be:

 if [ "$DISTTYPE" = "STANDARD" ]; then
	rm -rf /usr/bin/nroff /usr/bin/troff /usr/lib/tmac /usr/man
 fi

?

Allow me to say it is this unbundling in SYSV that is making me recommend
to my institution to stay away from SYSV like a plague, future costs of
software and negotiating multitudinous licensing agreement are just too
unpredictable (and I see no reason to use our $$ to encourage it.)

Other vendors? This is not a flame at SUN, I only address them because
they are actually dealing with the issue, I suspect the other vendors
will just start hitting us by surprise when the issues start to become
more clear. Under current policies we buy SUNs like kids in a candy store.

[FLAME]

I claim that ATTIS' unbundling of pieces of UNIX and charging extra
for them is due to an utter failure by them to provide add-on, new
software to make a living off of, unbundling things that were there
already is such an unsavory way to make a living, a total admission of
failure and indicative of an organization in a serious degenerative
state (ATTIS that is), unable to do anything new, janitors of a lost
civilization roaming the great halls with brooms where hammers once
rang proudly...[enough, Barry, enough!]

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

"AT&T...we made UNIX...expensive"

mikel@codas.ATT.COM (Mikel Manitius) (10/17/86)

>From what I understand the on-line manual was struck from the roster
>in SVR2, but *WAS* part of SVR1.  For AT&T: Why????
>
>It should at least be part of the source distribution, if not binary.
>Unless of couse AT&T would like to send sites copies of the manuals for
>each of the users on a given system.  Not likely.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone came up with the silly
idea that if they don't include them in the release, you'll
have to buy more paper documentation.
--
			    Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
			    ...{seismo!akgua|ihnp4|cbosgd|mcnc}!codas!mikel