[net.unix] ...competitor!advertiser!info

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (10/04/86)

A recent ad in a UNIX-oriented magazine surprised me.
It included information on how to get in touch with the advertiser;
the information included a uucp address that looked like:

	uucp:  ...competitor!...!advertiser!info

Should I have been surprised by this?
--
UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
Info is a trade secret of Number 6.

jso@edison.UUCP@ndmce.uucp (John Owens) (10/17/86)

In article <6957@elsie.UUCP>, ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
> A recent ad in a UNIX-oriented magazine surprised me.
> It included information on how to get in touch with the advertiser;
> the information included a uucp address that looked like:
> 	uucp:  ...competitor!...!advertiser!info

If this was an SCO ad that said
	uucp:  ..!microsoft!sco!info
there is nothing unethical.  SCO is essentially an OEM for Microsoft;
Microsoft never sells XENIX directly, they only sell it to "hardware
manufacturers and, in special cases, to companies like SCO."  (A quote
from a Microsoft sales representative.)  SCO provides some enhancements
and other work, but mainly provide good support and service that
Microsoft isn't interested in committing to.

These are just my opinions, of course, based on miscellaneous
observations and conversations.

John Owens		General Electric Company - Charlottesville, VA
jso@edison.GE.COM	old arpa: jso%edison.GE.COM@seismo.CSS.GOV
+1 804 978 5726		old uucp: {seismo,decuac,houxm,calma}!edison!jso