[net.unix] Unprotected Files

rbj@ICST-CMR.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (10/23/86)

> From: Mark H Levine <yba@trillian.mit.edu>
> In article <1759@tektools.UUCP> jerryp@tektools.UUCP (Jerry Peek) writes:
> >In article <810@aimmi.UUCP> gilbert@aimmi.UUCP (Gilbert Cockton) writes:
> >The first things a new user should be taught include:
> >	- how to use "chmod" to make a "personal" (safe) directory and
> >	- how to use "chmod" to protect an individual file.
> >Not using "chmod", then screaming about someone reading your files, is like
> >not locking your house and complaining when a burglar walks in.
>
> That seems a bit strong.
>
> At  our place, there is a Committee on Privacy that worries about
> such things.  Their major concern was that we could not teach our
> four or  five  thousand  novices  about  chmod  BEFORE  they  had
> casually  created private files which others would then browse --
> in other words: were users giving informed consent or just  using
> a defualt of "friendly" which novices (the reasonable man?) would
> not  expect?  (Imagine you stayed at a hotel where the door locks
> only worked if you called the desk to have them turned on --  the
> normal  expectation is that the door locks when you close it, and
> only you and the maid can get in; only a UNIX hotel  is  open  to
> visitors at all hours).

That just goes to show that analogys aren't always on the mark, altho
I use them heavily as well.

> The  compromise we use is to start new users off with a directory
> mode of 0711  (allows  file  references  IF  they  gave  you  the
> pathname),  and  a umask which only allows the user access.  This
> puts the burden on a user to learn how to share his files  rather
> than to learn how to protect them.  While it runs contrary to the
> UNIX  tradition,  it  is  probably  a  good  compromise  for  the
> uninitiated.

So initiate them. Just tell someone that their files are by default
readable, and it is their responsibility to protect them. Things
tend not to change once they are set up. Encouraging people to
share files is a better mentality than encouraging them not to share.
The burden should be on privacy. If they care, they will learn.

Your scheme also encourages ignorance. They only have to learn
if they want to be a nice guy, whereas they don't if they want to
keep everything secret. A bad combination. To be sure, they are
good reasons for secret files, but usually only a small fraction.

> There seems to be more potential for damage  in  having  people's
> private data made public accidentally than in putting a stumbling
> block  in  the  way  of sharing data intentionally.

There is no such thing as private data on a computer not OWNED by you.
(For the moment I will ignore government and similar databases where
info about you is collected by others and is required by law to be
used in narrowly defined ways. On this subject, I am a privacy nut).
Any data you put on the machine is owned by your employer in private
industry, and by the government in that domain. I don't know what
universitys do. If you get fired, they change your account before
they tell you you don't work here anymore.

Of course, in practice, every site is different. People DO expect a
little privacy, and most people respect it. Still, it is not a good
idea to call a file `resume' if that's what it is (unless your
company encourages everyone yo keeps it up to date for bids, etc), or
to call a directory CMSC450 unless the company is paying for it.

The best way to keep a secret is to not let it known that there is one.

> We also tell
> users loudly the system is not secure, and they should  not  have
> any sensitive data on a UNIX machine with a network connection.

This is an oversimplication, and one that may scare people about
networks unnecessarily.