[net.unix] Ultix to VMS file/mail link wanted

cjs@ncoast.UUCP (10/26/86)

My site needs to link our VAX 750 w/ Ultrix to our VMS cluster...we
don't need the bandwidth of ether net, just file transfer (sharing would
be nice) and mail.  Does anyone know of less expensive methods to link
our systems (exluding kermit)?  We can budget up to about 2k$ for the
link.  We would be happy to use uucp until something better comes along.
Does anyone know of a uucp system for VMS?  Or something similar?

Thanks in Advance.

Chris Seline
(Oberlin College)
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!cjs

campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (10/26/86)

In article <3213@cuae2.UUCP> cjs@ncoast.UUCP writes:
>My site needs to link our VAX 750 w/ Ultrix to our VMS cluster...we
>don't need the bandwidth of ether net, just file transfer (sharing would
>be nice) and mail.  Does anyone know of less expensive methods to link
>our systems (exluding kermit)?  We can budget up to about 2k$ for the
>link.  We would be happy to use uucp until something better comes along.
>Does anyone know of a uucp system for VMS?  Or something similar?

I don't know how much DEC charges for a DECnet license, but I don't think
it's significantly more than $2K.  It would obviously be nicer running
over an Ethernet (are there any VAXes in the world without Ethernet??),
but it will run over a serial line if that's all you've got.  You get
file transfer, remote login, and mail -- DEC has hacked up sendmail so
it talks to VMS mail, so you can easily put up a gateway between VMS-land
and UNIX-land.
--
Larry Campbell       MCI: LCAMPBELL          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
UUCP: {alliant,wjh12}!maynard!campbell      120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109