[net.unix] Looking for fix to BSD mail problem with \".\"

cpc@ames-prandtl.arpa (Chuck Collins) (10/20/86)

Has anyone made the necessary fixes to 4.2 BSD mail that causes it to
interpret a "." in a reply address to be some sort of Berkeley-internal
network address? (Try replying to an address "name@any.x", it sends the mail
to some system named "onyx"!?) I just tried it on 4.3 and something different
occurs, which also looks wrong to me (cpc@any.x turns into any.cpc@x).

We thank you for your support
Chuck Collins              ...hplabs!ames!amelia!cpc              cpc@ames-nas

In article <4731@brl-smoke.ARPA> cpc@ames-prandtl.arpa (Chuck Collins) writes:
>Has anyone made the necessary fixes to 4.2 BSD mail that causes it to
>interpret a "." in a reply address to be some sort of Berkeley-internal
>network address?

It need not be fixed to do this: it does it already.  You meant,
no doubt, to ask for fixes to *stop* such `optimisations'.  The
problem is in /usr/src/ucb/Mail/optim.c, where it looks for network
metacharacters.  These are defined in config.c and (drum roll
please) include a period.  Unless you actually use any of this
optim.c junk, it should be safe simply to remove the `.' from
the definition in config.c and then recompile and reinstall Mail.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu