------------

From:  GANDALF
To:    LONGNAMENOCANSAY
cc:    YODA,ZORRO,FANGORN
Subj:   depressing message

I'm not really sure how to handle the following real
message.  I just now found it on  the CBBS, and the sysop
 has the system paging function disabled right now so I can't
query him about it.

 Msg 16403 is 10 line(s) on 02/18/83 05:50 PM
 To: ALL  From: GORDON  [YNG]
 City: SAN FRANCISCO/ CALIFORNIA
 Subj: GOOD BYE
 I CAN'T HANDLE IT ANYMORE.
 MY PARENTS ARE MAKING ME PARANOID AND I CAN'T HANDLE IT
 ANYMORE.
 I DRANK A COUPLE BEERS AND SWALLOWED
 A WHOLE BOTTLE OF SLEEPING PILLS.
 MAYBE IT WILL BE BETTER IN ANOTHER WORLD.
 THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
 GORDON
 P.S. SYSTOP, DELETE ME FROM THE LOG IN.
 I WON'T NEED IT ANYMORE.

All I know is I think we've just seen a technological first
-- online suicide.  This message has NOT been a test.
very quietly & thoughtfully,

-AH

---------

iy47ab (02/23/83)

God, was that a serious message?  I hope not!  If it was...do you have
the address of said suicide? (machine address)  Possibly they did not
do as they planned or were prevented in time and there is something that
we, the netters, can do.  Please post the address if you have it, AH,
and anyone else -- any ideas?

arwen

trb (02/24/83)

GORDON [YNG] is not the first to post a suicide note to a net, and if
he's successful, it wouldn't be the first net-oriented success.  On the
ARPANET, UNCOLA@MIT-MC major-punted, complete with bboard note, a few
years back.

Brought to you as a public service by,

	Andy Tannenbaum   Bell Labs  Whippany, NJ   (201) 386-6491

neiman (02/25/83)

    Well, now we know what happened to Gordon after Ellen was done with
    him...

						 dann

mclure (03/09/83)

#R:sdchema:-42700:sri-unix:2200005:000:381
sri-unix!mclure    Feb 24 15:46:00 1983

This isn't the first.  A few years ago on the Arpanet, some guy with a
guest account named UNCOLA at one of the MIT ITS machines did himself
in, leaving a suicide note in his plan file.

Also, someone over at IMSSS Stanford a few years back did himself in.
Immediately, all the system hackers pounced on his directory searching
for a suicide note.  But there wasn't one.

	Stuart

billw (03/09/83)

#R:sdchema:-42700:sri-unix:2200006:000:1021
sri-unix!billw    Mar  1 01:03:00 1983

Oh, I can just see it... (those of you without ARPAnet experience
might not understand (oh well))...

				Irreverently
				BillW

PS: will we ever know what happened to Gordon ?

-------------------------------------
From: Parker@DCA (Major Parker)
To: UNCOLA@MIT-MC
Subject: Plan file

It has been brought to my attention that you have left a suicide note
in your plan file (GUEST4;UNCOLA PLAN) on MIT's computer system.  This
is not a valid use of the ARPANet!  I need not remind you that the
ARPANet is funded by DCA for use by official DoD projects only.  By
your frivolous abuse, you risk MIT's status as a valid ARPANet user.
Don't think we won't take MIT off the net if abuses continue, we will!

In addition, the added traffic on the net that is occuring as morbid
young hackers all over the country read your plan file is interfering
with more important and officially sanctioned traffic.

If you're really serious about suicide, join the army.  I did.

Major Mike Parker, DCA

mp (03/10/83)

To those of you in the dark about Bill Westfield's submission,
here's the story:

Peter Haase (login name UNCOLA) was a student here in
the mid-70's.  He wrote a good deal of programs for the
ITS systems.  He went on co-op assignment with HP in
1977 or 1978 or so, but still logged into MC relatively
often.  One day, people noticed his plan file
said something like "Hacking suicide for the thrill of it all",
followed by the lyrics to Pink Floyd's Brain Damage cut from
the Dark Side of The Moon album.

This was the last anyone heard from him - he was found dead
from strychnine soon after.

They say that a pun is the lowest form of humor.  I think,
with billw's entry, we've found something lower.

	Mark

sjk (03/11/83)

And to those of you in the dark about a more recent UNCOLA:

A certain user on MIT-MC with [possible] suicidal tendencies
apparently heard of the original UNCOLA and took on the name
as an alias to gain attention.  This happened within the last
year or so, and this user has since stopped posing as UNCOLA,
for reasons I do not know (he's still alive).

I believe that Bill's message was in reference to the latter
UNCOLA... perhaps he can verify this one way or the other.
Personally, I found the message highly amusing within the
context I saw it, I'd forgotten the original UNCOLA tragedy.

scott