[net.suicide] Ability to exit life at will.

wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (wa371) (01/04/85)

(Perhaps this will start a discussion.)

1. The ability to commit suicide at will at any time is a fundamental
   freedom.  I once had a nightmare that I was being kept alive by
   intravenous feeding against my will while being totally restrained.

2. We all commit suicide eventually.  Some of us do it sooner by leading
   an unhealthy lifestyle, others do it later, when keeping the aging
   body functioning becomes more of a hassle than it is worth.  In either
   case we allow diseases of one kind or another to do the job for us.

Therefore, 'committing' suicide could be called a form of taking
direct action rather than letting an unhealthy lifestyle or old age
do the job by default.

As far as methods go, my favorite would be simply to stop eating
forever.  I once fasted for a long time on just water, when my
weight went from 165 to 120 pounds (150 is normal for me).  I lost
an average of two pounds per day.  It seemed then that I could
have easily never resumed eating if suicide had been my intention.
The support of a courageous friend, or a secure environment, would
be mandatory for such an endavor.
In this case I tried to solve some health problems but almost went
too far.

   Meanwhile, I aim to enjoy life.

   Bernd Riechelmann  (Not affiliated with U.C. San Diego)
   ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371  (UUCP)
   sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371@nosc        (ARPA)

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (01/05/85)

From: wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (wa371)
>1. The ability to commit suicide at will at any time is a fundamental
>   freedom.

I agree with this but seem to have one problem in applying it.  The version
of the rule in my brain is the above, "... except that since I am a greedy
little thing I will interfere with close friends because I don't want to lose
them."  This has been tested (not through any choice of my own) but I haven't
resolved the inconsistency yet.  Maybe the problem is that what has been
sprung on me has been sprung suddenly, rather than being discussed
'rationally'.

>Therefore, 'committing' suicide could be called a form of taking
>direct action rather than letting an unhealthy lifestyle or old age
>do the job by default.

I also view the difference as that: suicide is taking a direct action; all
else is euthenasia (pulling the plug), letting nature take its course, etc.

>As far as methods go, my favorite would be simply to stop eating
>forever.

This has the added advantage that you give yourself time to think about it
instead of going home one day, deciding life isn't worth it, and ending it
quickly.  It requires a great deal of patience, though.

						-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

annab@azure.UUCP (Anna Beaver) (01/07/85)

		   She

	She sat upon a mountain top
	And gazed upon the land below.
	She watched the filmy clouds drift by,
	As they danced across the new blown snow.

	her thoughts were filed with beauty
	And memories of the days before.
	Her heart was light and happy
	And from this world she asked no more.

	She had given herself completely.
	She had made a pledge.
	She thought of how he left her.
	She turned and stepped from the ledge.

	She has truely found fulfillment,
	As that of loving him.
	She sailed across the open air
	And kissed the gentle wind.
				(Terri B)

  I found this in the archives. Sounded better than starvation.

 Annadiana Beaver
A Beaver@Tektronix

rwh@aesat.UUCP (Russ Herman) (01/11/85)

>I agree with this but seem to have one problem in applying it.  The version
>of the rule in my brain is the above, "... except that since I am a greedy
>little thing I will interfere with close friends because I don't want to lose
>them."  This has been tested (not through any choice of my own) but I haven't
>resolved the inconsistency yet.  Maybe the problem is that what has been
>sprung on me has been sprung suddenly, rather than being discussed
>'rationally'.
					lll-crg!dragon

Yes, it *is* appropriate for you to intervene. If the person were determined
to suicide, he/she wouldn't even bother to discuss it with you. The fact
that it comes up at all is evidence of doubts. Your "greed" may show that
person that somebody really does care about their existence. In irrational
suicides - the vast majority of the cases - that can make a difference.
--
  ______			Russ Herman
 /      \			{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!rwh