[net.suicide] death and college

purtell@reed.UUCP (Lady Godiva) (04/02/85)

In article <1215@reed.UUCP> thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) writes:

>     Reed is a damn lonely place sometimes. It tends to make
>all but the most invulnerably positive insecure and cynical.
>But the education is worth it (to about 50% of those who
>are freshmen...)
>
>			Love,
>
>				Ann

   Yes, Reed is a damn lonely place sometimes. I often wonder though if
it is just because Reed is a rather unique college in some ways, or if
it is just because we are so far from home (at least some of us) and
have so much to do, and so often feel that we can't get it done. I don't
just mean academics, I also mean personal interests. Remember,
relationships whether they be romances or friendships, take work too. I
am an incurable idealist, but there are times when I get very depressed,
and even, occasionally, toy with the idea of suicide, although I have
never seriously considered it, at least not recently. Whenever I get
depressed I talk or write a letter to a friend of mine here. I find that
and a good night's sleep always help.
Something that I have noticed about this newsgroup is that very little
is posted here. Are there just no people out there that think about
suicide or related things (depression, the legal and/or moral, emotional
or spiritual aspects of suicide)? Or do people just not want to talk
about them? If not, why does this newsgroup exist?

elizabeth g. purtell

(Lady Godiva)