[net.suicide] 'cause suicide is painless

max@hal.UUCP (Max Plank) (08/15/85)

	I am writing this in the hopes of getting worthwhile information.
Does anyone out there in netland know of a book which describes ways to
commit suicide?  I thought I remembered such a book being published but
I can't think of the title.
	I am looking for something, preferably a drug, which is slow-acting
(2-4 hours) which does not cause pain (or illness) and is readily available
or easy to synthesize.
Any information about either would be appreciated.
No evangelicals need apply.
			THANK YOU.

larry@hpfcla.UUCP (08/19/85)

I seem to recall that the organizations that do publish suicide
help books won't let anyone have one unless they've been a member
for a while.

Larry Fenske
{ihnp4, hplabs}!hpfcla!larry-f

martin@cornell.UUCP (Susan Martin) (08/19/85)

Although I wouldn't want to be responsible for helping someone commit suicide,
I recall having read that in England there is some society that is devoted
primarily to different methods of suicide.  They have published a book on the
topic, listing all the different and painless ways to do one's self in.

I haven't got the name or publisher of the book, but anyone who really wanted
the information could find out with some effort.

Best wishes, and Don't do it!  You're too young to die!

Susan A. Martin
a.k.a.
SAM

riddle@im4u.UUCP (08/20/85)

>> Does anyone out there in netland know of a book which describes ways to
>> commit suicide?  I thought I remembered such a book being published but
>> I can't think of the title.

Since you don't give much information about *why* you want a suicide drug,
I'm almost hesitant to respond to this (I keep remembering the old Jack
Lemmon movie, "How to Murder Your Wife" :-) :-( ), but...

This morning on NPR I heard a brief interview with the founder of the
Hemlock Society, a Los Angeles-based group which works for the rights of the
terminally ill to commit suicide.  They publish a book entitled "Let Me Die
Before I Wake" which includes a discussion of suicide techniques.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech}!ut-sally!riddle   riddle@ut-sally.UUCP
--- riddle@ut-sally.ARPA, riddle%zotz@ut-sally, riddle%im4u@ut-sally

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (08/21/85)

In article <154@hal.UUCP> max@hal.UUCP (Max Plank) writes:

>Does anyone out there in netland know of a book which describes ways to
>commit suicide?

As I was driving to work this morning, I heard an interview on NPR of
Derek Humphrey, founder of the Hemlock Society.  He has written just
such a book -- entitled "Let Me Die before I Wake".
--
Richard Mateosian   nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA   {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!srm

jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) (08/23/85)

[]
While I know of no book on suicide methodology,
I did come across an excellent book on human mortality
in general, including suicide.  The title is "Death is
a Noun", and oddly enough it was in the juvenile
nonfiction section, despite its being the best (only?)
modern unemotional work on death I have ever come upon.
It seems to be written for the "pre-adult" (= teen-aged)
reader but definitely was in the category of things
I *wished* I'd read as a teen-ager.  It avoids the
mystical junk too often associated with death (except
for a dispassionate discussion of various societies'
beliefs about death and afterlife, if any) and is
neither patronizing nor trivial.

If there is some interest I can get more information
(author, publisher, date -- I think the last is mid-70's)
about it.  I found it in a library about 500 miles from
here; I haven't seen it since but I can give somebody
there a ring and have them send me the poop.

Jeff Brown
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin
{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff