[net.suicide] requesting advice about motorscooters for 16 yr. old daughter

djw@lanl.ARPA (08/13/85)

In article <2036T3B@psuvm> T3B@psuvm.BITNET writes:
>I am requesting advice about safety, utility, and models of motorscooters.
>                                               Are these things reasonably
>safe transportation?  She is especially interested in a Vespa--any comments
>on this?

I bought my first scooter when I was 15.  I rode scooters until I was 20 and
was in an accident due to a design flaw in the scooter.  I had a Lambretta
but the same flaw was in the Vespas back then ( 1964 ).  They don't seem
to be too different now.  **NOTE** I have not checked this out because we
don't have Vespa, Lambretta, Honda scooter dealerships around here.

The problem is:

The fork design came from bicycles and not motorcycles.  That is, the fork
tube comes straight up through the headset and is grasped by a "Friction
Fit Collar" MADE OF POTMETAL ( cast aluminum or something similar).  The
terminal graphics aren't good enough for me to describe the fitting, Please
stand by while I think of a suitable description.

Remember how the handlebars on your bicycle slipped through a U-shaped
fastener which was seized by a bolt?  The handlebars on a scooter are
attached to the fork post in that manner.  The piece that attaches to the
fork post is made of a brittle metal which is easily cracked when the
front forks bottom out ( as in wheelstands or potholes ).  When this piece
is cracked or stretched ( just a smidgeon, ) the handlebars will no longer
turn the front wheels in an emergency...  The front wheels will still turn
most of the time and you'll think everything is OK, but any panic turns
just won't be executed.  The handlebars will turn and the front wheel
won't,  the handlebar will twist on the fork tube just like it used to
on your bicycle when the bolt down through the headset was loose.

For this major reason and thousands of minor reasons I recommend a small
motorcycle.

The small motorcycles you are liable to find to buy will have been designed
for off-road ( trail bike/ motorcross ) use and will be an order of
magnitude stronger than the scooters you've been looking at.  ( Unless
you've found and old Cushman Eagle; the single exception to what I've
said above - and made by Harley Davidson - those people of AMF until
recently.  )

The tall wheels do make the bike safer with respect to potholes, but the
scooters project a certain image as do the motorscooters.  Your daughter
is 16, if she will go along with your suggestion and you are truly willing,
just bite the bullet and go to a motorscooter store and find what is there.

PS, the Vespa Ciao looks like it avoids these problems, but it is too
frail.  An inquisitive 12-year-old boy can destroy a Ciao in 15 minutes.

I spent 4 1/2 months in traction because of the potmetal handlebars on
my brand new Lambretta.  Seven months to learn to walk again.  They wanted
to cut my leg off but my mother made them promise to get my permission
since I was just 4 months short of being 21...  It happened the day
before her 40th birthday.  Hell of a present.

Dave Wade

P.S.  You will still be able to get Harley Davidson parts in America for
a while yet,  just drive into any bowling alley and take them off the
pin setting machine...  :-)

djw@lanl.ARPA (08/14/85)

In article <29610@lanl.ARPA> djw@a.UUCP (David Wade) writes:

>The tall wheels do make the bike safer with respect to potholes, but the
>scooters project a certain image as do the motorscooters.  Your daughter
					    motorcycles!!!!
>is 16, if she will go along with your suggestion and you are truly willing,
>just bite the bullet and go to a motorscooter store and find what is there.
				  motorcycle!!!!!

I'm sorry about that,  I meant to say "go buy a small motorcycle".  I
believe that you should stay under 350cc.  The reason that Mr. Honda is
so rich is that his little 80cc motorized cycle almost took over the world.
And, his Honda 305 "Dream" evolved into the 360cc/600cc twin that powers
all of the subcompact cars and Vans.  And the Honda "Dream" => Honda 350
is just about the perfect bike; not too slow, not too quick, but it'll
hit "too damn fast" without breaking.

Dave

john@gcc-bill.ARPA (John Allred) (08/23/85)

{munch, munch}