[net.suicide] better news

entropy@fluke.UUCP (Terrence J. Mason) (10/17/85)

> I wonder if it is possible to find a legitimate purpose for this newsgroup
> other than the occasional, whimsical posting...

Remember this line from an earlier posting?  As the one who probably started
the recent batch of personal suicide accounts and anecdotes, I wanted to
provide a follow up to my own article regarding my suicidal friend.  The
postings have tapered off to some statistical discussions which are probably
the expected background chatter on all of the net groups and I wanted to
inject a more positive note.

My friend had a troubled upbringing which spawned a troubled adulthood.  The
periods of depression grew in both depth and length to the point that thoughts
of ending it all were the only pleasant ones left.  The assistance of several
counselors was of little use to my friend but the second hand accounts that I
received were of immense value.  I found out that the most recent counselor
had strongly recommended lithium as a means of controlling the depression that
my friend was experiencing, advice that was soundly rejected.

I felt (or hoped) that the lithium (lithium carbonate) might just be of some
help and proceeded to argue, fight, cry, threaten and comfort my friend over a
period of several days until an agreement to try the program 'for my sake' was
reached.

The difference was almost immediate and striking!  By my friend's account,
clear thought became more possible and a sense of a connection to reality,
long since forgotten from early childhood, began to grow.

I understand that my friend's experiences in this matter do not constitute a
recommendation for any particular type of treatment.  I only suggest that some
form of treatment, whether through drugs or counseling, be undertaken.

Admittedly the battle is not yet won.  My friend tried to discontinue the
lithium treatment but, thankfully, voluntarily restarted for reasons as yet
unexplained.

Beginning to sleep a little better....

terry mason ( entropy@fluke )

rob@alice.UUCP (10/18/85)

Please do not submit discussions about lithium to this newsgroup.
That is what net.chemistry is for.

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (10/18/85)

In article <4457@alice.UUCP> rob@alice.UUCP writes:
>Please do not submit discussions about lithium to this newsgroup.
>That is what net.chemistry is for.

I disagree.  If it's related to suicide or the prevention of suicide, then
there's no reason it shouldn't be here.

Sean Casey                              UUCP:  sean@ukma.UUCP   or
915 Patterson Office Tower                     {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
University of Kentucky                  ARPA:  ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA
Lexington, Ky. 40506-0027             BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET