[net.suicide] Richard Beck's 'Illusions'

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (03/19/86)

In article <156@minnie.UUCP> chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) writes:
>anich@puff.UUCP (Steve Anich) says:
>>
>>	I was told that when Beck's book Illusions was
>>published, many people committed suicide. Is there any
>>truth to that? His books are wierd, but not that wierd.
>>

>	Yes, there is truth to that rumor.  I remember when I was
>living in Seattle, reading a story in the news about a teenage couple
>that committed joint suicide, leaving a note that indicated the book
>Illusions was a major contributor to their decision.
>
>	There followed some interviews with a psychologist discussing
>the role Bach's book in recent teenage suicides.
>
>	Wasn't there a similar phenomenom concerning a song named
>Blue Monday, or something like that?  I may have the song wrong but I do
>recall hearing about the occurence.
>

>--
>	Chris Grevstad
>
>	If things don't change, they will probably remain the same.

Well, outside of pointing out the obvious (eg., *Suicide is Painless*
from the movie and the tv series M*A*S*H), there is a ban put on the
song *Take Your Life* from the album "Doonesbury's Jimmy Thudpucker's
Greatest Hits".  To my (uncertain) knowledge, this lp is banned in
Canada from being played on the air.

--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."