[net.suicide] don't trust campus med services

bandy@lll-lcc.UUcp (Andrew Scott Beals) (03/08/86)

In article <5082@alice.uUCp> bjob@alice (Barbara J. Orlando-Bimmler) writes:
>Zions's advice is dead wrong:
>
>>I suggest you steer your friend to the Student Counseling Service or its
>>counterpart on campus. If none exists, the Health Service (or counterpart)
>>should be of assistance.
>
>Don't pay any attention to this guy!  Student counseling services are always
>trying to prevent suicide; this obviously isn't what you want.

Not only that they'll fill you up with nasty evil drugs that burn your
brain into little tiny bits. Someone on lithium is like a VAX with a
1Hz instruction clock.

>>Good luck and be careful.
>
>Don't hit any passersby.

Use a brick wall as a backstop to catch any flying nasties. A canvas
is suggested for those who are of an artistic bent (but it's already
been done before)...

	andy
--
I'm PROUD to be a CARBON-BASED lifeform!

andy beals
bandy@lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,qantel,sun}!lll-crg!bandy
LLNL, P.O. Box 808, L-419, Livermore CA 94550 (415) 423-1948

marco@andromeda.UUCP (the wharf rat) (03/09/86)

In article <178@lll-lcc.UUcp>, bandy@lll-lcc.UUcp (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
> In article <5082@alice.uUCp> bjob@alice (Barbara J. Orlando-Bimmler) writes:
> Not only that they'll fill you up with nasty evil drugs that burn your
> brain into little tiny bits. Someone on lithium is like a VAX with a
> 1Hz instruction clock.

     BOOO! This is *not* true. Lithium has very few side-effects,
especialy when you compare it to the more potent phenothiazines.
People on lithium do not look drugged out; one of my best friends
is on the stuff and she *always* looks bright-eyed, and she runs at
a faster speed then I do !
                                          W.rat

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jear Bear) (03/09/86)

I disagree vehamently (sp) with your views both on studen health
services and on lithium.  U of Cincinnati (my alma parentis) had
(over 10 years ago) a top notch heath and mental health service.
I have never gotten the level of care (personal and professional)
that was given there anywhere else.  Perhaps a strong med school and
clinical psych program helps.

A few months ago a friend who had stopped taking Lithium AMA
(against medical advice) became *severly* depressed and attempted
suicide.  She did not succeed (no discussion of methods for now)
and resumed Lithium Carbonate soon after with rapid disappearing of
her depression and agitation.  Yes, Lithium is dangerous and
inconvenient (frequent blood tests).  It's probably also expensive
but it is indicated very specifically for bipolar depressions
(not your garden variety dysthemias, psychotic depressions and the like).
Bipolar (or manic/depressive) disorders are quite rare.  Enough of
Psychopathology 701.
--
			Jerry Natowitz
			ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jin

flaps@utcs.uucp (Alan J Rosenthal) (03/20/86)

In article <122@andromeda.UUCP> marco@andromeda.UUCP writes:
>Lithium has very few side-effects,

HEY!  Let's not get all confused by the word "side-effects"!  Medical people
convince you that a drug is fine because it is low in side-effects.  But look
at the non-side-effects!  Lithium really wipes people out.  There may be
exceptions such as your friend, but I think that the idea of lithium is to
make people less emotional - dangerous stuff.

Alan J Rosenthal
{linus|decvax}!utzoo!utcs!flaps, {ihnp4|allegra}!cbosgd!utcs!flaps