[net.info-terms] vt100

hagens@uwvax.UUCP (Rob Hagens) (10/05/84)

What is the sequence of keys necessary to save vt100 set up options
until the next power up.

Thanks,
Rob Hagens
--
Rob Hagens @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!hagens

Why are we getting so many inquiries about VT-100 operation?
It's all in the manual.

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (10/08/84)

> Article <>
> From: gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>)

> Why are we getting so many inquiries about VT-100 operation?
> It's all in the manual.

At Cleveland State, terminal manuals are *not* accessible to students.
I doubt that we're alone in that.  (Computer Services doesn't like to
be helpful to students.)

--bsa

david@bragvax.UUCP (David DiGiacomo) (10/11/84)

>>Why are we getting so many inquiries about VT-100 operation?
>>It's all in the manual.

Apparently they are coming from students who have access to the
terminals, but not the manual.  That was the way things were when I was
in school, but I got to be pretty good at ripping off, scrounging and
hoarding manuals.

Of course, the questions could be coming from people who have ripped off
VT100s!
--
David DiGiacomo, BRAG Systems Inc., San Mateo CA  (415) 342-3963
(...decvax!ucbvax!hplabs!bragvax!david)

dsp@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave St.Pierre ) (10/12/84)

> >>Why are we getting so many inquiries about VT-100 operation?
> >>It's all in the manual.

It may also have something to do with the fact that none of the PC
emulator packages for the vt100 provide any documentation.

In reference to some of the questions on Crosstalk, I did some
experimentation a while back and discovered that it DOES support
insert/delete mode. Using termcap/terminfo for something like the
vt102/vt131/vt132 may be appropriate in most cases. The only difference
(problem) I've found so far is that Crosstalk does not have/support
the xn/xenl glitch in column 80. It does wrap to the next line.
This is easy enough to turn off, but I've also discovered that
if you're inserting text into a line which wraps to the next line,
the second line doesn't get displayed correctly. Entering a ^L does
fix the display. I've looked at the escape sequences, tried lots of
padding, and for the life of me don't see the problem.

Another product, SmarTerm 100, also provides reasonable vt102
emulation WITH xn/xenl. I haven't really tested it against the
above conditions.

>	... The only difference
> (problem) I've found so far is that Crosstalk does not have/support
> the xn/xenl glitch in column 80. It does wrap to the next line.
> This is easy enough to turn off, but I've also discovered that
> if you're inserting text into a line which wraps to the next line,
> the second line doesn't get displayed correctly. Entering a ^L does
> fix the display. I've looked at the escape sequences, tried lots of
> padding, and for the life of me don't see the problem.
>
> Another product, SmarTerm 100, also provides reasonable vt102
> emulation WITH xn/xenl. I haven't really tested it against the
> above conditions.

There is a common misconception about the VT100 and the xn/xenl
capability; even the most widely distributed termcaps contain this error.
Auto-margin should be taken to mean that IMMEDIATELY after display of a
character in the last column, the cursor is repositioned to the beginning
of the next line (possibly with scrolling if wrapping from the last line).
Whether or not a VT100 will auto-wrap depends on what is sent to it while
the cursor is positioned "past" the end.  The correct way to describe the
VT100 is NO auto margins and NO newline glitch.  In the absence of the
auto-margin capability, termcap/terminfo-using software will not have any
problem with this VT100 feature.  The wrapping upon character insert is
independent of auto-margin and is supposed to be described by the "in"
capability.