[net.info-terms] tek4010 and tek4110--can vi be used?

kurt@wucs.UUCP (Kurt H. Haserodt) (12/05/84)

I'm sure this has been posted at least a million times.

Can the 4010 or 4110 be used with vi?  Many termcaps I've seen
say not.  How about graphtext for doing this or going into
graphics mode to reposition the text cursor?  Has anybody
done this or do you have anything that works?

Thanks in advance for any help.
--

Kurt Haserodt				..!ihnp4!wucs!kurt
Box 1045 Washington University		(314)-889-6160

steveg@hammer.UUCP (Steve Glaser) (12/08/84)

In article <533@wucs.UUCP> kurt@wucs.UUCP (Kurt H. Haserodt) writes:
>I'm sure this has been posted at least a million times.
>
>Can the 4010 or 4110 be used with vi?  Many termcaps I've seen
>say not.  How about graphtext for doing this or going into
>graphics mode to reposition the text cursor?  Has anybody
>done this or do you have anything that works?

All Tek terminals work with vi, some better than others.  The storage
tube based terminals (401x, 400x, 4114) work just fine in open or ex
mode.  The raster based terminals (410x, 411x except 4114) support ANSI
X3.64 and work quite nicely in visual mode.  Many of us use them daily
as UNIX(TM) terminals with vi/emacs/jove/etc.  They also emulate much
of the VT100 command set so that many of the VMS screen based stuff can
run successfully.  (Note that some very early 4112 and 4113 terminals
will need an upgrade to add the X3.64 capability.)  The older raster
terminals (402x) also work with vi but are not X3.64.

	Steve Glaser
	tektronix!steveg
	steveg.tek@csnet-relay

> Can the 4010 or 4110 be used with vi?

Generally not very usefully, since there is no way to erase characters
without erasing the entire screen (true of the 4010, I don't know the
4110).  There are many Tektronix 4010-compatible terminals that also
have a reasonable normal video terminal mode; the latest one we tried
was the Selanar HiRez-100.  Recent Tektronix terminals such as the 410x
series are pretty good too.