[net.music] Christian headbangers...

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (05/16/85)

>>..and I'd better not hear any .... about their politics either or
>>you won't even know why you got killed...these guys are hardcore
>> skinhead rock band that has RIGHT wing politics and LIKES Ronald
>> Reagan.  Maximum Rock & Roll hates them -- Davidl
>-=-
>...the next thing you know we'll have Headbangers for Christ.
> -- Chris Valas

    I heard that the band `Exodus' plays Christian metallic punk.
    Can anyone verify this rumor?

-michael

pjt@BRL-VOC.ARPA (Paul Tanenbaum) (05/17/85)

There's always 'Petra' (Greek for 'rock', get it?  "Thou art Peter, and
upon this rock..."  I always admired Jesus for coming up with that pun).

I heard them at least ten years ago at a youth group fling at the local
parish church.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw a piece about them on
network TV.  They still sound like stale 70's <hard rock> and use their
medium to get The Message to today's teens.

When in Gomorrah, do as the Romans do...
     +++paul

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (05/21/85)

In article <246@spar.UUCP> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:
>>>..and I'd better not hear any .... about their politics either or
>>>you won't even know why you got killed...these guys are hardcore
>>> skinhead rock band that has RIGHT wing politics and LIKES Ronald
>>> Reagan.  Maximum Rock & Roll hates them -- Davidl
>>-=-
>>...the next thing you know we'll have Headbangers for Christ.
>> -- Chris Valas
>
>    I heard that the band `Exodus' plays Christian metallic punk.
>    Can anyone verify this rumor?
>
>-michael

Try looking for the holy metal band "Stryper".  Strange stuff they do
but not nearly as bilious as the standard "christian muzak" fare and
also more tolerable than listening to some self-proclaimed Satanist
telling everyone that because he's damned, everyone is.

Hutch

joan@ISM780.UUCP (05/23/85)

     I'm not a connoisseur of heavy metal, but there's a
  Christian group called the Resurrection Band (Chicago-based, I
  think) which certainly qualifies as loud and abrasive (one of
  their slogans is "Music to wake the dead", which can be
  interpreted several different ways on spiritual and
  non-spiritual levels).

     My brother is crazy about "The Rez Band" and I enjoy some of
  their stuff myself.  They've made several albums and I think
  they tour quite a bit.  A lot of their themes are either
  evangelical (bringing the Message to lonely, burned-out
  rock&rollers everywhere) or political (flaming on society's
  mistreatment of the poor and downtrodden).

		      Joan "the VMS group is moving mountains" Alexander
		      Interactive Systems,
		      Santa Monica, CA

		      cca!ima!ism780!alexander
		      decvax!vortex!ism780!alexander

     "Opinions expressed herein were not mine originally, but
      were forced on me at gunpoint by the Interactive Systems
      Corporation"

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (05/29/85)

> >>-=-
> >>...the next thing you know we'll have Headbangers for Christ.
> >> -- Chris Valas
> >
> >    I heard that the band `Exodus' plays Christian metallic punk.
> >    Can anyone verify this rumor?
> >
> >-michael
>
> Try looking for the holy metal band "Stryper".  Strange stuff they do
> but not nearly as bilious as the standard "christian muzak" fare and
> also more tolerable than listening to some self-proclaimed Satanist
> telling everyone that because he's damned, everyone is.
>
> Hutch

"Stryker", I believe.
Other rather, uh, unusual people/bands to try are:
	Steve Taylor
	Undercover
	77's

I'd recommend them all heartily, but I have to keep up my
anal-retentive Fundamentalist image, you know.

--

Paul DuBois     {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

59231ig@houxm.UUCP (I.GERSZBERG) (05/30/85)

<>

> ..."Stryker" I believe....
>  Paul Dubois

No! The original article was correct.  The band's name is Stryper for
"by His stripes (wounds) were we healed".  They wear orange and black
striped costumes in concert.

Enjoy,
Bob Switzer

--
Robert Switzer
(the views expressed in this article are strictly my own

dclark@kiwi.DEC (Dave Clark dtn 283-6322) (06/03/85)

On the contemporary Christian music scene ... there is a group called
Undercover that has a punk sound; they compare to The Rez Band like the Ramones
compares to Journey or Toto.  Here's a sample of some lyrics from "Jesus is
the Best," off of the "God Rules" album:

		"Jesus is the Best
		 He's better than the rest
		 Go on put him to the test
		 You'll see He's the best

		 Have you heard the latest
		 Jesus is the greatest
		 He can save you and I'll tell you something more
		 You can go to heaven and know for sure

		 Now He is the king
		 Over everything
		 Call him on the phone (ring ring)
		 He can do anything ...."

And so on.  On the same album they do a punkish version of "I Am the Resurrection and the Life," a Christian standard....