[net.info-terms] Visible bells

sahunt@snow.UUCP (Steve Hunt) (02/17/85)

Does anyone know visible-bell termcap entries (for use with e.g. Emacs)
for any of the following terminals?

adm5
adm3a+
tvi910+
tvi912
Data-Type XK-1

Thanks in advance for any help!

----
From the (very) dumb terminal of
    Steve Hunt         ... mcvax!ukc!qtlon!flame!ubu!snow!sahunt

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (02/21/85)

> Does anyone know visible-bell termcap entries (for use with e.g. Emacs)
> for any of the following terminals?
>
> adm5
> adm3a+
> tvi910+
> tvi912
> Data-Type XK-1

I recently did a termcap for the TeleVideo TPC I, which more-or-less
emulates a 912.  Alas, I don't think there is a way to have a visible
bell.  The adm3a and tvi91x use onscreen embedded characters to set visual
attributes (which is why spacing looks funny if you run nroff on text that
has underlining in it and send it to the stdout ... ).  The attribute is
turned off when the embedded character scrolls off the top of the screen.
Also, the attribute is set from where the character is embedded to either
the bottom of the screen or to the next character that appears that turns
the attribute off.  This is different from the tvi950, where a program can
send esc-b to the screen and reverse the whole screen, and esc-whatever to
reset it to normal.

--
Melinda Shore, Microcomputer Laboratory
University of Chicago Computation Center

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (02/22/85)

>From: shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore)
>
>> Does anyone know visible-bell termcap entries (for use with e.g. Emacs)
>> for any of the following terminals?
>>
>> adm5
>> adm3a+
>> tvi910+
>> tvi912
>> Data-Type XK-1
>
>I recently did a termcap for the TeleVideo TPC I, which more-or-less
>emulates a 912.  Alas, I don't think there is a way to have a visible
>bell.  The adm3a and tvi91x use onscreen embedded characters to set visual
>attributes (which is why spacing looks funny if you run nroff on text that
>has underlining in it and send it to the stdout ... ).  The attribute is
>turned off when the embedded character scrolls off the top of the screen.
>Also, the attribute is set from where the character is embedded to either
>the bottom of the screen or to the next character that appears that turns
>the attribute off.  This is different from the tvi950, where a program can
>send esc-b to the screen and reverse the whole screen, and esc-whatever to
>reset it to normal.

You're right about the 912/920 series. The 910+, 925 and 950 seem to be an
increasing series of terminals with compatible codes. I recall seeing a
termcap entry for the 910+, 925, and 950 which had the following entry for
visible bell:

	vb=\Eb\200\200\200\200\200\200\200\200\200\Ed

One unrelated note: the codes for several attributes (reverse video and
blinking, among others) are different from the older terminals (920/912)
and the newer ones (910+/925/950). This makes for great fun if you have
both running around.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) (02/23/85)

Posted from  shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore)

> The adm3a and tvi91x use onscreen embedded characters to set visual
> attributes (which is why spacing looks funny if you run nroff on text that
> has underlining in it and send it to the stdout ... ).  The attribute is
> turned off when the embedded character scrolls off the top of the screen.
> Also, the attribute is set from where the character is embedded to either
> the bottom of the screen or to the next character that appears that turns
> the attribute off.  This is different from the tvi950, where a program can
> send esc-b to the screen and reverse the whole screen, and esc-whatever to
> reset it to normal.

I don't know about the adm3a, but the tvi91x series has one visual attribute
that isn't an imbedded on the screen, that of dim.  I hate the magic cookie
glitches a lot of terminals have and all the termcaps I've designed for the
tvi's (and other look-a-likes) use dim for both standout and underline.

				robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert