[net.info-terms] What's the secret to using SCOM to talk to VMS?

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (03/21/85)

Two friends are trying without avail to use Persyst's SCOM program on their
IBM PC to communicate with a VAX running VMS.  They have a Hayes in-board modem.
They're able to get CONNECTed, but then (depending on the what they've told
SCOM about the number of data bits to transfer, parity, et al.) one of two
things happens:
	    appears on the screen
		Username:
	    appears; after typing in the username (which is correctly echoed)
		Password:
	    appears; after typing in the password (echoing is correctly
	    suppressed) an "incorrect login" message appears and it's back to
	    square one.
Final piece of information:  using the program that comes with the Hayes modem,
the friends are able to successfully log on to the VMS system.  (They want to
SCOM program because of its promise of a more complete emulation of a VT100.)

If you know the secret of using SCOM with VMS, mail word to me.  Thanks.
--
VT100 and VMS are Digital Equipment Corporation trademarks.
IBM is a self-referential trademark.

milt@wlcrjs.UUCP (John Milton) (03/22/85)

In article <5080@elsie.UUCP> version B 2.10.2 9/5/84; site wlcrjs.UUCP version B 2.10.2 9/17/84; site elsie.UUCP wlcrjs!aicchi!ihnp4!houxm!mhuxt!mhuxr!ulysses!allegra!mit-eddie!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!elsie!ado ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>	    appears on the screen...
>		Username:
>	    appears; after typing in the username (which is correctly echoed)
>		Password:
>	    appears; after typing in the password (echoing is correctly
>	    suppressed) an "incorrect login" message appears and it's back to
>	    square one.
>Final piece of information:  using the program that comes with the Hayes modem,
>the friends are able to successfully log on to the VMS system.  (They want to
>SCOM program because of its promise of a more complete emulation of a VT100.)
>
>If you know the secret of using SCOM with VMS, mail word to me.  Thanks.
>--
>VT100 and VMS are Digital Equipment Corporation trademarks.
>IBM is a self-referential trademark.
>--
>	UUCP: ..decvax!seismo!elsie!ado    ARPA: elsie!ado@seismo.ARPA
>	DEC, VAX and Elsie are Digital Equipment and Borden trademarks

I am not absolutely sure this is the answer, but I have hear of the problem
before. Look up the setting for "Auto cr/lf". Some terminal programs like to
send the characters <cr> <lf> when you press the enter key. When you typed
What happened was the system though the password was <lf>PASS (the VAX thinks
lf's are characters too), and gave you the incorrect login message.
  By turning off the "Auto cr/lf", you will avoid the sending of the extra
<lf>s. I hope this solves your problem. After all I could be way off base.

(this is my first reply, give me a break)
John Milton (ihnp4!wlcrjs!milt is my real address)