[net.info-terms] vertical insert/delete character etc.

glenm@mako.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) (05/21/85)

Are there any terminals extant which offer
vertical insert/delete character and/or
horizontal insert/delete line?  In other
words, the ability to move individual columns
of text up or down, or move part of the screen
sideways.

I have never heard of this feature, and am wondering
why it is not more commonplace.

	Glen McCluskey
	..tektronix!mako!glenm

> Are there any terminals extant which offer
> vertical insert/delete character and/or
> horizontal insert/delete line?  In other
> words, the ability to move individual columns
> of text up or down, or move part of the screen
> sideways.
>
> I have never heard of this feature, and am wondering
> why it is not more commonplace.

My theory as to why it is not commonplace is that people in the
Western world read right-to-left, not top-to-bottom.

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (05/24/85)

> > Are there any terminals extant which offer
> > vertical insert/delete character and/or
> > horizontal insert/delete line?  In other
> > words, the ability to move individual columns
> > of text up or down, or move part of the screen
> > sideways.
> >
> > I have never heard of this feature, and am wondering
> > why it is not more commonplace.
>
> My theory as to why it is not commonplace is that people in the
> Western world read right-to-left, not top-to-bottom.

Gee, no wonder the Western world is in disarray if everybody is reading
right to left :-).  I thought English and most other Romance languages were
read left to right!
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
{cbosgd, decvax, harpo, ihnp4}!utcs!mnetor!george

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/26/85)

>From: gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>)
>
>> Are there any terminals extant which offer
>> vertical insert/delete character and/or
>> horizontal insert/delete line?  In other
>> words, the ability to move individual columns
>> of text up or down, or move part of the screen
>> sideways.
>>
>> I have never heard of this feature, and am wondering
>> why it is not more commonplace.
>
>My theory as to why it is not commonplace is that people in the
>Western world read right-to-left, not top-to-bottom.

The horizontal insert/delete line might make an interesting feature for
some terminal, however. It would be very useful in columnar applications,
such as spreadsheets.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

> I thought English and most other Romance languages were read left to right!

Well, most western writing is (although there are exceptions).
The point was, though, that there is not much advantage in
manipulating columns of text on a display compared to the
utility of the horizontal operations.