[net.music] Katrina & the Waves - A *new* group?

jmsellens@watmath.UUCP (John M Sellens) (05/19/85)

In article <10744@brl-tgr.ARPA> hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (RAMD) writes:
>From what I've heard of this new group, I am impressed.
>They have one release so far from this albumn - called " Walking on Sunshine "

Gee, I hate to disappoint everyone, but they aren't new.  "Walking on
Sunshine" is from the *first* album, which was out in early 1984.  Their
second album came out in the fall of 1984 or so.  Of course, it could be
that they have only recently gotten US distribution, and so of course that
is the cue for Canadian top 40 stations to start playing the record that
they've had for well over a year now.

But I am glad that the morons who run radio and video have finally pulled
their collective heads out of the sand and clued in to the fact that this is
a good song ...

John

training@rtech.UUCP (Training account) (05/29/85)

> >From what I've heard of this new group, I am impressed.
> >They have one release so far from this albumn - called " Walking on Sunshine "
> Gee, I hate to disappoint everyone, but they aren't new.  "Walking on
> Sunshine" is from the *first* album, which was out in early 1984.  Their
> second album came out in the fall of 1984 or so.  Of course, it could be
> that they have only recently gotten US distribution, and so of course that
> is the cue for Canadian top 40 stations to start playing the record that
> they've had for well over a year now.

They've been big in England for awhile now, and have released two
albums there.  "Walking on Sunshine" is from their first (and only)
DOMESTIC album.  They are also responsible for the original version
of "Going Down to Liverpool", which got a lot of airplay out here
as performed by the Bangles.

Robert Orenstein
Relational Technology

cjbiggin@watmath.UUCP (Colin Biggin) (06/03/85)

Just to add a little to the discussion about Katrina and the Waves;
The current album (entitled 'Katrina and the Waves') is their third
album.  However, this album is a compilation of their previous two
albums.

To give a little background; they are originally from around the
Cambridge area which is about forty miles from Toronto.  Both
previous albums were Canadian releases only but they are now
trying to break the 'big' American market.  This latest album
was mainly recorded in Britain with some of the songs changed.

Currently, they are touring around the Ontario area.  I believe
they just did the forum at Ontario Place so hopefully they'll
be around here at UW sometime this summer.

About the album, well, I like it...  Another good song is Mexico.

					cheers,
--

					Colin Biggin
                                        Univperversity of Wonderloo

"They were the best of times, they were the worst of times.
 No, I think they were probably the New York Times."

neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (06/04/85)

"Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves is one reason I'm glad
I have a pushbutton radio. Gimme the Real Motown instead.

-Neal B.