[net.info-terms] termcap cs string

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (10/31/85)

(Or whatever the Arpanet equivalent -- INFO-TERMS@somwehere -- is.)
There are probably people on that list who can actually answer these
questions...

Info-terms people:  see net.emacs, where people have been trying to figure
out what "sg#0" means (something special and undocumented?) and what
the arguments to the "cs" string are...

> Info-terms people:  see net.emacs, where people have been trying to figure
> out what "sg#0" means (something special and undocumented?) ...

The meaning of "sg#0" is that it is unsafe to do cursor motions
while in standout mode.  This was supposed to be the rule anyway
unless "ms" is specified, but the manual entries were confusing.
The result of this confusion is that a termcap entry should use
one of the following:
	{   "sg" and no "ms"} => unsafe to move in standout mode
	{   "sg" and    "ms"} =>   safe to move in standout mode
	{no "sg" and    "ms"} =>   safe to move in standout mode

{no "sg" and no "ms"} is interpretation-dependent; don't use this
combination (unless there is also no stand-out capability).

> ... and what the arguments to the "cs" string are...

The top and bottom line numbers of the scrolling region
(inclusive, 0 origin).

I wish the EMACS implementors would pay attention to "xo" and
the initial terminal modes, also.  There are a lot of terminals
that require DC3/DC1 flow control, and trying to cheat by
supplying generous NUL padding is NOT the right solution.

smith@ncoast.UUCP (Phil Smith) (11/03/85)

> Article <241@l5.uucp>
> From: gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore)

> Info-terms people:  see net.emacs, where people have been trying to figure
> out what "sg#0" means (something special and undocumented?) and what
> the arguments to the "cs" string are...

According to my manual "sg#0" means > Number of blank chars left by so or se.
so&se being start and end of standout mode.