[net.info-terms] vs and ve termcap entries

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (02/03/86)

> > . . .on 4.1bsd and its predecessors. . .(according to the manual page):
> >
> > 	ve	. . .	Sequence to end open/visual mode
> > 	vs	. . .	Sequence to start open/visual mode
>
> The 4.1BSD TERMCAP(5) documentation is very obsolete.
> A much improved edition should be distributed with 4.3BSD.

I trust that no one will be misled by Doug Gwyn's contribution.  The 4.1BSD
termcap(5) documentation is utterly up-to-date for those of us running 4.1BSD
(and for folks interested in writing programs that will port to 4.1BSD systems);
attempts to use 4.3BSD documentation on 4.1BSD systems would be catastrophic.
--
Observations about federal government sites that run 4.1BSD may be sent to
University of California lawyers.

>> > 	ve	. . .	Sequence to end open/visual mode
>> > 	vs	. . .	Sequence to start open/visual mode
>>
>> The 4.1BSD TERMCAP(5) documentation is very obsolete.
>> A much improved edition should be distributed with 4.3BSD.
>
>I trust that no one will be misled by Doug Gwyn's contribution.  The 4.1BSD
>termcap(5) documentation is utterly up-to-date for those of us running 4.1BSD
>(and for folks interested in writing programs that will port to 4.1BSD systems);
>attempts to use 4.3BSD documentation on 4.1BSD systems would be catastrophic.

ALL termcap terminal descriptions and termcap-using programs
should use the up-to-date termcap(5) documentation.  The old
documentation was, variously: incomplete, ambiguous, confusing,
and/or incorrect.  The new version incorporates substantial
contributions from Mark Horton and Ken Arnold; it describes
completely the "official" operation of the termcap database.
It even flags "obsolete" (deprecated usage) capabilities.

The problem with termcap has always been that, due partly to
the poor state of the available documentation, implementors of
termcap-using programs would interpret the meaning of various
capabilities differently.  This means that many existing
programs never were correct and disagreed with each other
about termcap semantics, although they would work acceptably
for certain types of terminals (but not in general).

The 4.1BSD termcap(5) documentation is inadequate, even for
4.1BSD systems.  Correct termcap descriptions and programs
will work according to the revised termcap(5), and all others
should be corrected.  Termcap should NOT be version-dependent
(except to the extent that, as time goes on, additional
capabilities could be supported).

An additional advantage to following the new termcap(5)
documentation are that conforming terminal descriptions can be
automatically converted to the newer terminfo form and still
maintain the same semantics.

paver@milano.UUCP (Bob Paver) (02/07/86)

Where does one get the revised (current, correct) documentation for
termcap(5)?

Bob Paver  ---->  paver@mcc.arpa  OR  sally!im4u!milano!paver

Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corp (MCC)
9430 Research Blvd
Austin, Texas 78759
(512) 834-3316

In article <811@milano.UUCP> paver@milano.UUCP (Bob Paver) writes:
> Where does one get the revised (current, correct) documentation for
> termcap(5)?

You can wait for 4.3BSD or you can get it from me.
If you rummage around in the INFO-TERMS archives
you can find an intermediate improved version that
I posted, but the current version is better.

	Gwyn@BRL.ARPA

ron@dsi1.UUCP (Ron Flax) (02/10/86)

In article <6012@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>--
>Observations about federal government sites that run 4.1BSD may be sent to
>University of California lawyers.
>--

Arthur,

Maybe I'm naive, what's the problem with government sites that run
4.1BSD, or is there a problem at all?	I thought that anyone that
pays the cost can enjoy the benefits or something like that (;-)>

--
Ron Flax  (ron@dsi1.UUCP)
ARPA:	dsi1!ron@seismo.arpa

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (02/11/86)

> > Where does one get the revised (current, correct) documentation for
> > termcap(5)?
>
> You can wait for 4.3BSD...

...unless your lawyers won't allow signing of the UCB license...

> ...or you can get it from me.
> 	...Gwyn@BRL.ARPA

...if you have the appropriate licenses for the material from which
Gwyn@BRL.ARPA derived things.

Meanwhile, back at the original point:  on 4.1bsd systems, the termcap entries
shown at left below have the meanings shown at right:

> 	ve	...	Sequence to end open/visual mode
> 	vs	...	Sequence to start open/visual mode

I've checked the relevant source files, and that *really* is what they're used
for.  (See the comments in "/usr/src/cmd/ex/ex_tty.c"--and since comments can
be wrong, take a look at the C source, too.)  Even if the above documentation
*wasn't* correct, there are sites out there that have used that documentation in
building termcap entries--and that lack the benefit of Gwyn@BRL.ARPA's wisdom.

The bottom line:

	If you're interested in producing code that's portable
	to all 4.1bsd sites, be aware of differences between
	4.1bsd and later bsd releases with respect to termcap's
	"vs" and "ve" entries.

The succinct advise:

	If at all possible, avoid using "vs" and "ve".

Given Gwyn@BRL.ARPA's observation that "vs" and "ve" just change the
appearance of the cursor, avoiding their use seems simple.