[net.info-terms] Tektronix 4105

cet403@uiucuxf.CSO.UIUC.EDU (10/22/86)

The termcap I have for the Tektronix 4105 is terrific, except for one
small problem.

Using Highlight mode sometimes forces the screen to change the color of
the alphanumeric characters permanently.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?  If so, please post it
here or send it by email.

Charles Tracey

ARPA: cet403@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu
UUCP: {pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!uiucuxf!cet403

mikemo@tekig4.UUCP (10/29/86)

In article <7100001@uiucuxf> cet403@uiucuxf.UUCP writes:
>The termcap I have for the Tektronix 4105 is terrific, except for one
>small problem.
>Using Highlight mode sometimes forces the screen to change the color of
>the alphanumeric characters permanently.
>Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?  If so, please post it
>here or send it by email.

Your problem may have to do with which escape sequence your termcap is
using to do "highlighting". There are several ways to do it. One way
is to use the TEK mode command Set-Dialog-Area-Index although this
will not work when in ANSI mode. The other way is to use the ANSI
Select-Graphic-Rendition command (esc)([)(parameter)(m). The parameter
may be of several forms as follows:

     parameter		description

	0	Turn off attributes blink, bold, underscore, reverse.
	1	Turn on bold (make character foreground index 2).
	4	Underscore.
	5	Blink.
	7	Reverse video (swap character foreground and background

	< index	  Set character foreground to specified index.
	= index	  Set character background to specified index.
	> index	  Set character erase to specified index.

The first set of parameters (0,1,4,5,7) are the standard way of setting
temporary attributes. The second set ( < index, = index, > index) are
Tektronix extensions to the command. They were added to provide full
access to the dialog area color index selection capabilities. They
work the same way as the TEK mode Set-Dialog-Area-Index command.

Now on to your problem.

The second set of parameters cannot be undone by the turn-off-attributes
parameter (0). In fact, If you issue an NVSAVE command the new index
assignments will be stored in non-volatile RAM and restored at power-up.
Most likely your termcap is using this method to turn on a color
attribute and trying to use parameter = 0 to turn it off. You should
use parameter = 1 to turn on bold mode and parameter = 0 to turn it off.
If you use one of the Tek extensions to change the attribute then you
must use one to change it back. You can put several parameters in one SGR
command if you want.

A termcap example:

:se=\E[<1;0m:\	; set foreground index back to 1 and turn off any attributes
:so=\E[<3m:\	; standout mode : set foreground index to index 3 (green)
:ue=\E[m:\	; turn off underlining
:us=\E[4m:\	; turn on underlining

Note:	The :se sequence will turn off standout mode and underlining.

Hopefully this information will help.

Mike Moser	decvax!tektronix!tekig4!mikemo
Tektronix, Inc.
(503) 627-3516