[net.eunice] option -noshare; and UUCP/Eunice

druid@ncsu.UUCP (druid) (09/17/84)

> Newsgroups: net.eunice
> Subject: Linking Eunice programs
>
> We are running Eunice 3.2 and have a need to transport a program
> developed under Eunice to a vanilla VMS system.  According to
> the manual this is accomplished by using cc or ld with '-noshare'.
>
> The '-noshare' seems to work with small programs we tried, but
> when we ran this large program after linking with '-noshare', we got an
> immediate access violation.
>
> or something else we can try to allow us to build this program
> and move it to a non-Eunice machine.
> Also curious about exactly what link command vmsld builds when
> you say -noshare.  (We don't have sources.)

	This may not tell you anything new, but, as I understand it, VMS
and Eunice have some shared libraries that are automatically included in
order to run programs under both VMS and Eunice.  The -noshare option
does not include those shared libraries.  I do not know specifically what
function they serve, but I also ran into a problem with this when I tried
to bring up a large graphics package (developed on Unix) under Eunice. It
would not compile correctly until I had used the -noshare option, supposedly
since it was written to run specifically under Unix (in this case I wanted
Eunice).
	Now, you are taking a program from VMS/Eunice to VMS, while we
brought one from UNIX to VMS/Eunice.  I'm not sure that what you are trying
to do will work, unless you can compile this program under VMS (directly)
without having to use Eunice at all.  Let me know what turns up in the end.

	I asked about UUCP between Unix and Eunice (VMS) several weeks ago
and got lots of replies.  I apologize for not having replied to any of them
yet, but I will do so soon.  We are going to try to bring up UUCP between
our VMS/Eunice machine and a native Unix machine, just as soon as we have
everything (auto-dial modems, etc) together.  Hopefully this will be this
week sometime.  I will then write the summary article that I promised.
Thanks for your replies and your patience...

	dave hesselberth	decvax!mcnc!ncsu!druid
	NCSU	I E Dept	Voice I/O Lab & Expert Systems