[net.eunice] MicroVax TCP/IP ?

system@lamont.UUCP (bob bookbinder) (10/10/84)

	We are in the process of setting up a LAN here at Lamont.
The initial three systems will be a VAX 11/780 running Eunice, a
PDP 11/70 running 2.9bsd and a Sun Workstation running 4.2bsd
connected via Ethernet (TCP/IP).

	The three systems will all have the DOD TCP/IP stuff so in
theory all is ok -- Then along comes a MicroVax.

	Does anyone know of TCP/IP running on a MicroVax.  The
Ethernet hardware is no problem, but I'm told Eunice isn't available.

	Any comments would be gladly accepted.

				Bob Bookbinder

UUCP:  {decvax, cmc12, mcvax, ihnp4} philabs!lamont!system

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (10/13/84)

TCP/IP from TWG doesnt need Eunice to run, you get some added features
if you have Eunice, but you dont need it per se.  Call them up and see
if it'll fly....

				Milo

jss@sjuvax.UUCP (Jonathan Shapiro) (10/31/84)

[Aren't you hungry...]
	Eunice might not be available, and almost certainly wouldn't work
anyway (voice of bitter experience).  Your best bet is to pester DEC until
they admit that unisoft runs on the microvax.  Unisoft is DEC's edition of
4.1 BSD.

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (11/04/84)

In article <589@sjuvax.UUCP> Jonathan Shapiro writes:

>	Eunice might not be available, and almost certainly wouldn't work
>anyway (voice of bitter experience).  Your best bet is to pester DEC until
>they admit that unisoft runs on the microvax.  Unisoft is DEC's edition of
>4.1 BSD.

No, no, no, no, no.  UNISOFT is a *company* that sells 68K Unix ports.  DEC
has a product named *ULTRIX* that is their version of *4.2* BSD.

With all that misinformation, I wonder if there is any hard data to support
the theory that Ultrix runs on the Microvax.  As an ex-Deccie, I can tell you
that frequently the software *will* run in "unsupported" configurations (I
almost managed to get 11M up on a dual-floppy 11/03 once;  needed a third
floppy to actually pull it off).  But DEC makes no special effort to
suppress the code that supports such configurations.  So if Ultrix runs on
the Microvax, it probably is mostly a configuration problem to bring it up
(that, and getting it to fit...).

--

	Geoff Kuenning
	First Systems Corporation

msc@qubix.UUCP (Mark Callow) (11/04/84)

> 	Eunice might not be available, and almost certainly wouldn't work
> anyway (voice of bitter experience).  Your best bet is to pester DEC until
> they admit that unisoft runs on the microvax.  Unisoft is DEC's edition of
> 4.1 BSD.

This is completely wrong.  Digital (or DEC as it was) offers *Ultrix* on the
microvax and all vaxes up to the new 8600.  Ultrix is Digital's version
of *4.2BSD*.  Mostly the changes re to do with making the diagnostic
messages more Digital-like so the FE's can understand them better.

Ultrix is not yet available on the new VaxStation 1 because they haven't
finished the driver for the graphics stuff.  It isn't available on the
8600 yet because they haven't made it use all the bells and whistles
of the monster yet.

Unisoft is a product of Unisoft Corporation and is based on System V.
It is also marketed by UniPress.  Digital has absolutely nothing to do
with it.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@qubix.UUCP,  qubix!msc@decwrl.ARPA

kvc@scgvaxd.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (11/06/84)

[]
The TCP/IP that Tektronix distributes for VMS looks like it'll run
under microVMS on a microVAX.  The only changes that it'll need are
those for any other VMS V4 system.  Since I just finished the V4
update class, I am in the middle of converting the code to run under
VMS V4.  The changes are simple.  The DEQNA (Q-bus ethernet controller)
is identical to the DEUNA at the device driver level, so it should
work with the DEUNA modifications I already have in the Tektronix code.
It will also be able to share the DEQNA with DECnet (or any other
protocol) just as it currently does with the DEUNA.

If anyone is interested, just drop me a line...

	/Kevin Carosso   {allegra, ihnp4, seismo, decvax!trwrb}!scgvaxd!kvc
	 Hughes Aircraft Co.

dbr@cybvax0.UUCP (Douglas Robinson) (11/06/84)

Ok, for the full scoop (as much as I can tell):

	1. Unisource is a company, NOT a piece of software.
	   It has NOTHING to do with the MicroVAX-I (uVAX-I).

	2. ULTRIX is DEC's version of 4.2BSD (NOTE:  They track
	   USENET and fix errors in code!  No more maintenance
	   problems.)

	3. ULTRIX for the uVAX-I has just been released by
	   DEC and is known as: 'ULTRIX-32m rel. 1.0'.

	4. This is a non-changeable (unless you get source) linked
	   kernel with all drivers that DEC supports for the
	   uVAX-I configuration.  A relinkable object file distribution
	   is in the works (a la ULTRIX-32 for the larger VAXen), but
	   won't be available for rel. 1.0.

	5. Adding drivers is a non-trivial problem!  The memory
	   map registers that you find on all larger VAX's are
	   NOT on uVAX-I so all devices are required to be MSCP
	   (so the driver can do scatter/gather for the machine).

	6. ULTRIX-32m WORKS WELL!  I have personnally MOVED
	   (NOT RECOMPILED, BUT COPIED) executables from an 11/750
	   running 4.2 BSD to this O/S and had them run without
	   problem! (5Mb in all!)

	7. uVAX-I is about the same speed as the 11/73.  It excells over
	   the 11/73 when overlays would be necessary and where a lot
	   of floating point is used (I have comparison benchmarks that
	   could be posted if enough desire becomes apparent).  It is
	   a little slower where 16 bit integers are involved.

	8. I am in the process of obtaining enough hardware to Ethernet
	   the uVAX-I and our 11/750 together.  This will be via 4.2BSD/
	   ULTRIX standard utilities using the DEQNA (Ethernet for
	   Q-Bus(22bit)) and the DEUNA (Ethernet for UNIBUS).  If desired,
	   I can post the results as well.

    I hope this clears up some of the confusion.
--
Doug Robinson		Jobs don't kill programmers... programmers kill jobs!
Cybermation, Inc.	617/492-8810

...!{mit-eddie, harvard, mirror}!cybvax0!dbr

jim@haring.UUCP (11/08/84)

It could just have been the shock induced by having to fish cans
of beer out of a bucket of icy water, but I was sure I played with
a MicroVax running 4.2BSD (Ultrix by any other name) in the DEC
hospitality suite in Salt Lake City. It even had the 'sendmail.cf'
we sent Armando some time ago, so it must have been real UNIX...

Jim McKie    Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Amsterdam    mcvax!jim