[net.eunice] MicroVax TCP/IP - UniSoft not DEC product!!

ian@utcs.UUCP (Ian F. Darwin) (11/03/84)

	From: jss@sjuvax.UUCP (Jonathan Shapiro)
	Subject: Re: MicroVax TCP/IP ?

	    Eunice might not be available, and almost certainly wouldn't work
	anyway (voice of bitter experience).  Your best bet is to pester DEC
	until they admit that unisoft runs on the microvax.  Unisoft is DEC's
	edition of 4.1 BSD.

I'm sure Mr. Shapiro knows this and has just had a slip of the tongue (keys?):
UniSoft has nothing to do with DEC!!!

DEC's implementation of 4.2BSD for the VAX family is called ULTRIX-32.
Quoting DEC:
	"The ULTRIX product family consists of the ULTRIX-32 (VAX),
	ULTRIX-11 (PDP-11) and VENIX (Professional 350 and Rainbow)
	operating systems."
from the ULTRIX Software Guidebook, DEC p/n EJ-26153-20, first
edition, page V.

UniSoft is a company in Berkeley which ports UNIX to the 68000.
Most of the 68000 ports on the market either are UniSoft ports
or were originally. UniSoft's port is called "UniPlus+", a nice
pun if you know the C language.

DEC and ULTRIX (but not ULTRIX-32 nor ULTRIX-11 per se) are
trademarks of Digital Equipment Corporation. UniSoft and UniPlus+
are trademarks of UniSoft of Berkeley. VENIX is a trademark
(I think) of Venturecom, in Massachusetts. And UNIX, as we
well know, is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

Just trying to keep the record straight.

--
Ian Darwin, Toronto
{ihnp4|decvax}!utcs!ian

jss@sjuvax.UUCP (Jonathan Shapiro) (11/13/84)

[Aren't you hungry...?]
	Indeed it was a slip of the tongue, and I see that I did not recall all
of the groups I posted it to in my correction.  Please accept my apologies.
Unisoft is *not* what I wanted - Ultrix *is*.  The correction I sent out in
other groups also said:

	A person at DEC to contact (apparently many people have had problems
getting DEC to admit to the existence of Ultrix) who is suggesting this
solution for a local site's needs is:

	Michael Gottobi
	DEC
	1740 Walton Road
	Bluebell, Pa.  19422-2388
	(215) 825-4200

	This is not intended as advertisement - I have no affiliation with DEC
except for qualms over VMS and respect for good hardware.  Many people have
had trouble getting information, however so I thought I would pass this on.

Jon Shapiro