[net.eunice] Spawning an interactive DCL from Eunice

brown@noao.UUCP (10/16/84)

We have just brought up Eunice with TCP/IP on our 3.6VMS 11/750.  It
communicates quite well with our 4.2BSD 11/750s.  When I "rlogin"
from one of the Unix machines to the VMS machine, I would like to be
able to escape from rlogin on the remote(VMS) machine and spawn
an interactive DCL.  Does anyone know how to do this?

	regards,
	Mike Brown	Engineering & Technical Services
			National Optical Astronomy Observatories
			Tucson, Arizona			(602) 325-9275

jss@sjuvax.UUCP (Jonathan Shapiro) (10/31/84)

[Aren't you hungry...?]

One of the frequently undocumented features of Eunice is the fact that if
FROM THE CSHELL one types "suspend" eunice will spawn a DCL job.  The
limitation is that no LOGIN.COM file is processed by this command.

Jon Shapiro

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (11/09/84)

In article <590@sjuvax.UUCP> jss@sjuvax.UUCP (Jonathan Shapiro) writes:
>One of the frequently undocumented features of Eunice is the fact that if
>FROM THE CSHELL one types "suspend" eunice will spawn a DCL job.  The
>limitation is that no LOGIN.COM file is processed by this command.

Another limitation is that ^Y won't work.  Woe betide if you say "dir/full"
in a directory with 1000 versions.  There's no way to stop it short of
killing the process.

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

chip@t4test.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (11/14/84)

> From: lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall)
> Date: 9 Nov 84 19:02:59 GMT
>
> Another limitation is that ^Y won't work.  Woe betide if you say "dir/full"
> in a directory with 1000 versions.  There's no way to stop it short of
> killing the process.

Not true.  When a shell is opened, ^Y is turned off.  The reason is
obvious...ugly things would happen if you did a ^Y in csh and VMS trapped
it.  If you do a "suspend", a simple

	SET CONTROL=Y

will enable ^Y for the duration of the DCL.  (Today's handy hint: define
"Y" as a logical name to do this).  Of course, if you don't enable ^Y you
can always ^O, drum your fingertips merrily on the tabletop for 30 seconds
or so, and then continue on when you get your prompt back.  As ugly as the
^O solution is, it's probably easier (and quicker) than logging on somewhere
else, locating your PID, and stopping it.

--

Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
{cbosgd,idi,intelca,icalqa,kremvax,qubix,ucscc} ! {t4test,t12tst} ! {chip,news}

jss@sjuvax.UUCP (Jonathan Shapiro) (11/27/84)

>In article <590@sjuvax.UUCP> jss@sjuvax.UUCP (Jonathan Shapiro) writes:
>>One of the frequently undocumented features of Eunice is the fact that if
>>FROM THE CSHELL one types "suspend" eunice will spawn a DCL job.  The
>>limitation is that no LOGIN.COM file is processed by this command.
>
>Another limitation is that ^Y won't work.  Woe betide if you say "dir/full"
>in a directory with 1000 versions.  There's no way to stop it short of
>killing the process.
>
>Larry Wall
>{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

The reason for this is that either the LOGIN.COM file in ETC: or the
CSHELL.COM/SHELL.COM files in BIN: do a
$  set nocontrol=y
In order that things like vi and others which use ctrl-Y as a command
character can function contentedly.  The way around this is to say

$set control=y

when you enter the VMS process.

I am not certain if this is process or terminal specific - that is, I do
not recall with certainty whether or not exiting the DCL shell will
restore trhe correct state of ctrl-Y or if it is necessary to do so
explicitly.  I believe that exiting the VMS process does it.

Hope that's helpful.

Jon Shapiro

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (11/28/84)

In article <1238@t4test.UUCP> chip@t4test.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> ...Of course, if you don't enable ^Y you
>can always ^O, drum your fingertips merrily on the tabletop for 30 seconds
>or so, and then continue on when you get your prompt back.  As ugly as the
>^O solution is, it's probably easier (and quicker) than logging on somewhere
>else, locating your PID, and stopping it.

Usually, but once I started a purge that gave me 700 messages, about 1 a
second, that it couldn't do something or other.  It wasn't terminal bound
so ^O didn't help much.

I also got stuck listing a 15 megabyte accounting file to the terminal.
Apparently the accounting utility traps ^C, and resets ^O on every record.

Thanks for the ^Y info, though.  That will help.