[net.eunice] Eunice under VMS 4.x ?

lew@t4test.UUCP (Lew Mullen) (05/29/85)

Is there anyone running Eunice yet under VMS 4.x ?  (like VMS 4.1?)
We are going to have to do it soon, and would like to think we aren't
the first site to anticipate a problem.

First thing is "it's different". (like 25 character filenames, or so)
Second is ... we will be running a 2-cpu VMS cluster !

Has anybody got a sales pitch from TWG on this ?  Anything ?

Say, that reminds me, what ever happened to that newsletter they started ?
I got a couple of issues, then they stopped coming.
--

t4test!lew  ( Lew Mullen  @ Intel/Santa Clara )

lew@t4test.UUCP (Lew Mullen) (06/25/85)

Following is a summary of responses I got from this inquiry
about Eunice under VMS 4.1:

   Is there anyone running Eunice yet under VMS 4.x ?  (like VMS 4.1?)

   Say, that reminds me, what ever happened to that newsletter TWG started ?

-----------------------

-----------------------

-----------------------

-----------------------
> From hplabs!decvax!cwruecmp!diamant
> (John Diamant) Case Western Reserve University		CSNet:  diamant@Case
>
> Here at Case, we have a VAX 11-782 which we just brought up with VMS 4.1.
> We are in the process of getting EUNICE to run under it.  The stupid
> HSH... filenames are gone as VMS can now handle "." files properly.  They
> have a program which is supposed to convert the old format to the new one
> (called cvtfnames or something) which doesn't seem to work quite as
> advertised.  Also, when EUNICE is entered, some logicals are defined, which
> aren't properly removed when it exists.  As a result, when it is reentered,
> it says "can't find /etc/passwd entry."  It is a simple matter to change
> the cshell.com file to delete the logical manually (only the one called
> EUN_5C_ENV is important).  We are thinking about breaking our two cpu's
> apart and making it into a cluster, so would be interested in your experiences
> in this area.  Other than the two minor points described above, there
> haven't been any major problems with bringing up the new version.
-----------------------
Last, but not least, I had an informal talk with Jeff Wheelock of TWG,
whose staff will be supporting Eunice now that Michael Bourke has left.

The best thing I saw was that TWG has recompiled a large part of the
sources, which means among other things they HAVE some of the sources
to look at when you have a problem.  Hey, David, how about pointing
them at the UUCP sources ?

Filename hashing has been dramatically improved, with no obvious need
for those pairs of *.HSH *.HSN files anymore.  YEAH !

They are also adding code to limit the number of users to the number
you paid for on your license; supposedly required by AT&T.
Every program will check the number of users before it lets you run it.
(I hope this doesn't slow it down TOOO bad)

I asked our salesman for a cluster-wide *nix-binary/Eunice license,
so far no progress.  Seems to be another problem with AT&T.

p.s. The newsletter is quarterly.  One should be due any minute.
-----
The opinions expressed or implied by this document are mine alone
and not necessarily shared by anyone else.
--

t4test!lew  ( Lew Mullen  @ Intel/Santa Clara )