[net.music] The Animals

eproj@burl.UUCP (eproj) (01/22/86)

On may way to work today I heard an old song by The Animals
which caused me to wonder what happened to that group. Any
history buffs out there that know? I would also like to know
if any of the members are playing in any other groups.

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. We finally have a good FM station down here that plays
60's, 70's, and 80's rock and roll so if your ever passing
through N.C. turn your dial to 92.3. I heard "Us and Them"
by Pink Floyd Sunday morning followed by "Layla" by Derek
and the Dominos. The list goes on....Cream, Procol Harem,
Canned Heat, CCR, Byrds, ect.

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (01/23/86)

In article <969@burl.UUCP> eproj@burl.UUCP (eproj) writes:
>On my way to work today I heard an old song by The Animals
>which caused me to wonder what happened to that group. Any
>history buffs out there that know? I would also like to know
>if any of the members are playing in any other groups.

The Animals were from Newcastle; they were originally known as the Alan Price
Combo.  The lineup was

	Eric Burdon (vocals)
	Alan Price (keyboards)
	Chas Chandler (bass)
	Hilton Valentine (guitar)
	John Steel (drums)

They adopted the name "The Animals" in 1963; the above lineup is the one
you hear on their earlier hits ("House Of The Rising Sun", "Don't Let
Me Be Misunderstood", "Bring It On Home To Me", "It's My Life", "We Gotta
Get Out Of This Place", etc.)

The Animals, like countless other British groups, relied heavily on American
R&B for their material.  Unlike the others, they performed it reverently and
well enough to be written up in Ebony magazine!

Price and Steel left in 1966 and were replaced by Dave Rowberry and Barry
Jenkins.  You hear that lineup on "Don't Bring Me Down", and "See See [sic]
Rider".  Chandler and Valentine left shortly thereafter; Burdon assembled
a new lineup ("Eric Burdon and the Animals") of:

	Eric Burdon (vocals)
	Vic Briggs (guitar)
	Danny McCullough (guitar)
	John Weider (bass)
	Barry Jenkins (drums)

which is the group you hear on "When I Was Young", "Sky Pilot", and
"Monterey".  Keyboardist George Bruno (a.k.a. Zoot Money) joined them
for the "Every One Of Us" album in 1968.  Police guitarist Andy Summers
joined in time for their last album, "Love Is".

Burdon teamed up with War ("Spill The Wine", in 1970), and later formed The
Eric Burdon Band.  Chandler discovered and managed Jimi Hendrix.  Price
formed the Alan Price Set, and composed several film and musical scores.
Valentine recorded one solo LP (whose name I'd have to look up.)

The original Animals have reunited three times: a one-shot benefit gig in
1968; again in 1976 (for the LP "Before We Were So Rudely Interrupted"),
and yet again within the past couple of years.

AWR