Date:     Fri, 30 Nov 84 14:15:57 cst

From:     planting@wisc-rsch.arpa (W. Harry Plantinga)
To:       seismo!brl-tgr!tgr!Mike Minnich <mminnich@udel-ee>
Subject:  Re: Wants source(s) for TECO (vi wankers go die)

Teco sucks.  I've used both teco and vi, so I know.

------- End of Forwarded Message

rap@oliven.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (12/01/84)

.

Hey, if you don't want your Macro11 version of TECO you can always
send it to me.  I'd be glad to have it.
--

					Robert A. Pease
    {hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!rap

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron) (12/02/84)

If you find a C source for TECO, pass one on to me.

The scurulous (sp?) rumors as to COMPAT not working under 4.2
is FALSE.  We run 4.2 on a -750.  We also have Macsyma.  Our
Macsyma is running under the compatibility mode.  (I don't know
if there is a 4.2 version of macsyma yet or not.  We don't have it
if there is).  It runs fine.  I have no idea what (if anything) it
has done to our performance.
David Herron;  ARPA: "ukma!david"@ANL-MCS   (Note the quote marks.)
UUCP:	unmvax ---\
UUCP:	research   >-------/----------------- anlams --\
UUCP:	boulder --/ 	  /				>-!ukma!david
UUCP:	decvax!ucbvax ---/	cbosgd!hasmed!qusavx --/

davidt@ttidca.UUCP (David Terlinden) (12/03/84)

Many others would also like TECO (or better DEC's TV) for UNIX.  Any who
have info. please reply in an article for all to see.

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (12/05/84)

> The scurulous (sp?) rumors as to COMPAT not working under 4.2
> is FALSE.  We run 4.2 on a -750.  We also have Macsyma.  Our
> Macsyma is running under the compatibility mode.  (I don't know
> if there is a 4.2 version of macsyma yet or not.  We don't have it
> if there is).

By "compatibility mode" do you mean the 4.2BSD facility that permits it
to execute 4.1BSD system calls (but from native VAX code), or the ability
to run PDP-11 programs in the VAX-11 compatibility mode?  The reference
to "a 4.2 version of MACSYMA" and the fact that you're running MACSYMA at
all leads me to think you mean the former (if somebody's stuffed a LISP big
enough to run MACSYMA, much less MACSYMA itself, onto a PDP-11 I'd like to
shake their hand).  The people asking about TECO are asking about the
latter, as PDP-11 TECO is written in MACRO-11.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

mjl@ritcv.UUCP (Mike Lutz) (12/06/84)

This is in response to Guy Harris's note on what exactly was
meant by "compatibility:"

We're running with the 4.1 system call compatibility, and we also have
some old PDP-11 programs running under the 'compat' program that came
on a USENIX tape eons ago.  For example, one of those old tapes had a
DEC-style assembler and linking loader on it, and we run the
executables of these programs under compat -- they're used to
support our introductory computer organization/assembly language
courses.
--
Mike Lutz	Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!mjl