[net.sources] Empire Source

ddavis@ucbvax.UUCP (06/01/84)

From: ddavis (ddavis)

Ok, where can I get hold of some 4.2BSD empire source?  Someone,
somewhere must have some!!

				David Davis

joshua@fluke.UUCP (J.B. LaRue) (06/25/84)

I have seen *alot* of people who have been looking for the source to Empire.
A friend has the comp'd. version but we are unable to play until one of our
systems goes VMS, as this is what it is for.
Now since I have not seen re-pstings of the requests, I figured that the people
have either: 1) gotten their source, or 2) gave up. I have gone through our
oldnews and found naught. I, as others, would pay for whatever costs would
be invloved.
Please respond via net or directly.

Thanx,

J.B.L.

steven@qubix.UUCP (Steven Maurer) (06/29/84)

    I have been informed by the author of Empire, that even HE
    does not have a working binary for a UNIX Vax (or a Unix
    anything, for that matter).    Now is there anyone anywhere
    who has this game, so popular that it has its own newsgroup?

    Steven Maurer (...ihnp4!sun!qubix!steven)

jab@uokvax.UUCP (07/08/84)

#R:vax4:-167200:uokvax:9600002:000:1224
uokvax!jab    Jun 24 23:55:00 1984

/***** uokvax:net.sources / vax4!joshua /  8:52 pm  Jun 19, 1984 */
I have seen *alot* of people who have been looking for the source to Empire.
A friend has the comp'd. version but we are unable to play until one of our
systems goes VMS, as this is what it is for.
Now since I have not seen re-pstings of the requests, I figured that the people
have either: 1) gotten their source, or 2) gave up. I have gone through our
oldnews and found naught. I, as others, would pay for whatever costs would
be invloved.
Please respond via net or directly.

Thanx,

J.B.L.
/* ---------- */

Please forgive me for responding to the world, but I couldn't find a path
to "vax4", and this might be of more general interest anyway.

I spoke to Peter Langston of Lucasfilm at the Usenix conference in SLC.
There *DO* exist some very old, and very hacked versions of "empire", but
it's probably better that you give up searching for them. Peter doesn't
distribute source to "empire" simply because he doesn't want people calling
him with bugs not in the version added somewhere in the distribution chain.

I would like the source too, but I see his point.

Perhaps somebody with a binary of "empire" could help you

	Jeff Bowles
	Lisle, IL

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (07/10/84)

Steven Maurer says that "the author of Empire" told him that he (the author)
did not have a working VAX binary.  Well, I got a tape from Peter Langston at
the SLC Usenix Conferencve with not only Empire, but War, Race, Star Drek,
Grid, Convoy, Dune, Wander, Boggle, Gomoku and others -- in other words
a standard psl tape.  Everything I have tried out so far works just fine on
my VAX with 4.1BSD.

Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

alb@alice.UUCP (Adam L. Buchsbaum) (07/10/84)

The binaries for Empire are available (from Peter Langston)
for VAXen running BSD.

jais%ucsce.ucscc.UUCP%Berkeley@ucscc.UUCP (02/05/85)

	Folks,

	Does anyone out there have the source to Empire?  I have heard about
it and would like to get it for our game shell here at UCSC.  Thanks!

	Yours,

Jordan J. Mattson
Crown College - UCSC
Santa Cruz, CA 95064

408-425-1847  (Home)
408-429-4263  (Work and Messages)

ucbvax!ucscc!ucsce:jais

sm@cadre.UUCP (02/07/85)

< Ignore this line >

In article <8018@brl-tgr.ARPA> jais%ucsce.ucscc.UUCP%Berkeley@ucscc.UUCP writes:
>	Does anyone out there have the source to Empire?  I have heard about
>it and would like to get it for our game shell here at UCSC.  Thanks!

This must be the single most asked question among Unix users. The answer
is (insofar as I am aware): The first distributed version of Empire (the
game), appeared on a Usenix tape for PDP-11 many years ago. The author
was/is Peter Langston. The distribution included a few sources (for
parts of the program which had local dependencies), but the meat of
the distribution was in binary form.

Subsequently there appeared versions for Vax (4.1 and 4.2), as well
(and I don't know what else). These are ALL binary only. As far as I
know, Peter Langston does not distribute sources. Someone has made a
claim to have emulated Empire and had sources but I haven't heard that
claim in a while.

Peter Langston now works at Lucasfilm, Ltd., which has an unpublished
uucp address (or did). I'm sure that someone could give you his mailing
address For a copy you must send a blank tape and return postage, plus
a description of what Unix version you are running.

Sorry I can't help with the address. Good luck.

Sean McLinden

matt@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (02/09/85)

(Pardon this posting in net.sources, friends, but I wanted to get that
 "Followup-To:" line in here.    -MC)

In article <cadre.247> sm@cadre.ARPA (Sean McLinden) writes:
>In article <8018@brl-tgr.ARPA> jais%ucsce.ucscc.UUCP%Berkeley@ucscc.UUCP writes:
>>	Does anyone out there have the source to Empire?  I have heard about
>>it and would like to get it for our game shell here at UCSC.  Thanks!
>>

>This must be the single most asked question among Unix users. The answer
>is (insofar as I am aware): The first distributed version of Empire (the
>game), appeared on a Usenix tape for PDP-11 many years ago. The author
>was/is Peter Langston. The distribution included a few sources (for
>parts of the program which had local dependencies), but the meat of
>the distribution was in binary form.
>
>Subsequently there appeared versions for Vax (4.1 and 4.2), as well
>(and I don't know what else). These are ALL binary only. As far as I
>know, Peter Langston does not distribute sources. Someone has made a
>claim to have emulated Empire and had sources but I haven't heard that
>claim in a while.
>
>Peter Langston now works at Lucasfilm, Ltd., which has an unpublished
>uucp address (or did). I'm sure that someone could give you his mailing
>address For a copy you must send a blank tape and return postage, plus
>a description of what Unix version you are running.
>
>Sorry I can't help with the address. Good luck.
>
>Sean McLinden

Peter Langston moved on from LucasFilm to Bellcore some months ago.  He
had said to me that a new version of empire (again in binary, I assume)
would be forthcoming.  Since I haven't seen it I suppose that he is either
too busy or has lost interest.  (Deity forfend!)  Empire is a game which
*should* be distributed in binary, as some advantages would be possible
for any player who had examined the sources carefully.  (Ain't that right,
D.P.?)  The last version of empire had so many bugs and loopholes that
I don't think anyone plays it any more.  Certainly not around here.

Let me be so bold as to solicit pleas for a new version which I will forward
after a while to the last known net address of Mr. Langston.  Maybe his
sense of duty to his public will overcome his need for food and sleep.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/11/85)

> As far as I
> know, Peter Langston does not distribute sources. Someone has made a
> claim to have emulated Empire and had sources but I haven't heard that
> claim in a while.
>
> Peter Langston now works at Lucasfilm, Ltd., which has an unpublished
> uucp address (or did). I'm sure that someone could give you his mailing
> address For a copy you must send a blank tape and return postage, plus
> a description of what Unix version you are running.

Peter Langston never (well pretty much never) distributes sources.
His code is distributed as described, binaries and enough interface
source as required.  He has however, always been helpful in getting
the sources up on a new machine.  In defense of Peter, I must say that
this keeps Empire, wander, and his other games from getting as disgustingly
varied as Rogue, search, and other games that the sources have been more
widely available for.

Peter is no longer at Lucusfilm, he works for Bell Communications research
now.  I don't know what machine to find him on, but he usually uses "psl"
as his login name.

-Ron