[net.sources] Have you been horsed today?

mjs@eagle.UUCP (M.J.Shannon) (05/29/85)

{Eat me, bug!}

Why do people ship `binary only' goodies?  I can think of several reasons:

	to hide the fact that the program may steal information from the
		machine it runs on;
	to hide the fact that the program may destroy information on that
		machine;
	to hide the fact that the program itself was stolen;
	to protect `proprietary interests'.

Of the above reasons, only one (the last one, in case there's any doubt) is at
all legitimate.  The others all indicate illegalities which may be prosecuted.

Now I just received a games distribution for a micro from a coworker in my
company.  When I asked if there was a possibility of getting source, I was
told, `No Way'.

Which of the above reasons should I presume is the cause for this reaction, and
dare I run any of these programs on my machine?

	Concerned and annoyed,
--
	Marty Shannon
UUCP:	ihnp4!eagle!mjs

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (05/30/85)

In article <1261@eagle.UUCP> mjs@eagle.UUCP (M.J.Shannon) writes:
>{Eat me, bug!}
>
>Why do people ship `binary only' goodies?  I can think of several reasons:
>
>	to hide the fact that the program may steal information from the
>		machine it runs on;
>	to hide the fact that the program may destroy information on that
>		machine;
>	to hide the fact that the program itself was stolen;
>	to protect `proprietary interests'.
>
>Of the above reasons, only one (the last one, in case there's any doubt) is at
>all legitimate.  The others all indicate illegalities which may be prosecuted.
>
>Now I just received a games distribution for a micro from a coworker in my
>company.  When I asked if there was a possibility of getting source, I was
>told, `No Way'.
>
>Which of the above reasons should I presume is the cause for this reaction, and
>dare I run any of these programs on my machine?
>
>	Concerned and annoyed,
>--
>	Marty Shannon
>UUCP:	ihnp4!eagle!mjs
>Phone:	+1 201 522 6063

there are a few others i can think of:
	to prevent people from figuring out the game by reading the source.
	after all, what fun would adventure be if you knew everything
	to do at every room before your very first game?

	to add to the "value" of the game by making it hard to get.

	to make people dependent upon you for updates, etc., with
	charging optional.

	to make sure that only one group's ideas end up in the game both
	for consistency and "future plans".  this does not mean that
	ideas and suggestions are not used, but have to fit into the
	"master plan" for these.

user of all of the above and only the last of marty's
Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) (05/31/85)

  Re: paranoia about binaries:

   - and which of the reasons on that list of yours are we to assume about
  binary Unix licenses (the only sort us non-academic types can afford) ???

wcs@ho95b.UUCP (Bill Stewart) (06/05/85)

> Why do people distribute software only in binary?
>	[1)-3)it's ripped off]
>	4) to protect "proprietary interests"

5)  (much like 4) So they can sell it later?
6)  (For micros, this is common) The software may depend on a specific
	compiler, which not everyone has.

readnews@rayssd.UUCP (USENET Current Events) (06/20/85)

> From: pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov)
> Newsgroups: net.sources,net.games
> Subject: Re: Have you been horsed today?
> Date: Fri, 31-May-85 09:51:06 EDT
>

>   Re: paranoia about binaries:
>
>    - and which of the reasons on that list of yours are we to assume about
>   binary Unix licenses (the only sort us non-academic types can afford) ???
You people who write these games and other NET news programs
are a bunch of geeks! Computer geeks,that is!