[net.sources] New Newsgroup proposal -- net.sources.repost

pat@pyuxqq.UUCP (Pat M. Iurilli) (07/29/85)

Forgive me out there, I know this should not be posted in this group,
but I just have to let my frustrations out...  How about creating a
new newsgroup net.sources.repost?  It seems lately that half of the
articles in this group are requests for reposting this or that.  It's
getting all too commonplace to see requests for hack, vsh, software
tools, etc., to be reposted in part or entirety.  These articles
coupled with the quarter of the articles requesting other sources,
only leaves a quarter of the articles as actually containing real
source code.  This would at least cut the net.sources traffic by about
50%.  What say all of you out there on the net?
Pat Iurilli  Bell Communications Research  Piscataway, NJ
{allegra, ihnp4}!pyuxqq!pat

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (07/31/85)

In article <747@pyuxqq.UUCP> pat@pyuxqq.UUCP (Pat M. Iurilli) writes:
>Forgive me out there, I know this should not be posted in this group,
>but I just have to let my frustrations out...  How about creating a
>new newsgroup net.sources.repost?  It seems lately that half of the

Or for that matter, net.sources.d.  What I'D like to see is a moderated
sources group that gets just the sources posted to net.sources.  Then I
could unsubscribe to net.sources and stop reading about the Nth way to
evaluate PI, requests for sources, or people complaining about the
content of the group.  :-)

Sean

--

-  Sean Casey				UUCP:	sean@ukma.UUCP   or
-  Department of Mathematics			{cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (07/31/85)

In order to do this PROPERLY (!)  I've placed a Follup-To: header
in this message to make followups go to net.news.group.  In addition
I've cross posted this to net.news.group.

Amazing about how people can talk about cleaning up the net.  But while
they're doing it they're just posting to the wrong place, etc.  All them
nassssty things.

Yes, I want to see this posting non-sources in net.sources STOP.
But HOW????  There's groups already existing for everything people
would want to talk about about sources.  (net.sources.bugs for
problems with sources, and net.wanted.sources for people looking
for sources).  So why do we see people asking for sources in
net.sources??????  maybe because the two groups aren't in the
same part of the hierarchy?  They're too far apart on the list.
So, net.sources.wanted seems to be in line.  Along with deleting
net.wanted.sources.  And it needn't even confuse people because
in the interim we can use the aliasing feature of 2.10.2 (and
beyond) to move any traffic from net.wanted.sources to net.sources.wanted.

But then we still have to hear what Ross is gathering for us.
--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA