[net.sources] Please repost Hack for pcs

nadya@dartvax.UUCP (Nadya M. Labib) (07/20/85)

I would like to make a request that some kind hearted individual *please*
repost Hack for the pcs.  I missed the last posting due to a vacation, and
am very interested in the source.
                                      thx in advance.

seth@megad.UUCP (Seth H Zirin) (07/24/85)

> I would like to make a request that some kind hearted individual *please*
> repost Hack for the pcs.  I missed the last posting due to a vacation, and
> am very interested in the source.

Rather than repost the source, just post a phone number and uucp login
so people can get (and pay for) the sources themselves.  There's no sense
reposting a massive game each time someone misses it.  Games already use
up a sizeable amount of most sites netnews bandwidth.
Name:	Seth H Zirin
UUCP:	{decvax, ihnp4}!philabs!sbcs!megad!seth

Keeper of the News for megad

peterb@pbear.UUCP (07/26/85)

With regard to reposting hack for PC/IX. I have posted it once, and refered
all quests for reposts to look to their neighbors. I refuse to repost the
ENTIRE source since it chews up 248Kb of space, and its not necessary. I
presume dartvax can talk to some of the other machines here in the the east
coast, why don't you have the sys/admin contact some of your neighbors to
see if anybody pulled the sources out or archived them.

I don't think a repost is the proper solution. Its like asking your brother
to send out a dollar to everyone in the city just so you can get the dollar
you asked for. You could ask around for it before you take the easy way out
to get it.

BTW, I am the maintainer for PC/IX hack. So if you can't find ANY machine
nearer to you that have the source, I'll see what I can do.

Peter Barada
{ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|yale!cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb

peter@kitty.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (07/26/85)

> I would like to make a request that some kind hearted individual *please*
> repost Hack for the pcs.

I second that motion.

olson@rochester.UUCP (Thomas J. Olson) (07/29/85)

> > I would like to make a request that some kind hearted individual *please*
> > repost Hack for the pcs.
>
> I second that motion.

Third! Third!

seth@megad.UUCP (Seth H Zirin) (07/29/85)

> With regard to reposting hack for PC/IX. ...  I refuse to repost the
> ENTIRE source since it chews up 248Kb of space, and its not necessary...
> I don't think a repost is the proper solution. Its like asking your brother
> to send out a dollar to everyone in the city just so you can get the dollar
> you asked for.
>				 Peter Barada
> {ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|yale!cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb

I agree with Peter.  If you missed the posting, track it down yourself and
try to get it directly.  The whole net shouldn't pay because a few people
missed something.
Name:	Seth H Zirin
UUCP:	{decvax, ihnp4}!philabs!sbcs!megad!seth

Keeper of the News for megad

peterb@pbear.UUCP (07/30/85)

/* Written  7:40 pm  Jul 25, 1985 by pbear!peterb in pbear:net.sources */

[...]

/* End of text from pbear:net.sources */

Yes I realize that its only been four days since I posted this response, but
PLEASE, look to your neighboring machines before you put a request out
world-wide. It would save a lot of grief for everybody if your SA made
inquiries for you. In the case that you don't have an SA, ask an SA of a
neighboring site. I'm sure that they would try to help you in your quest.

With regards to setting up a anonimous uucp login, I am sorry, my machine
only dials out, but even if it dialed in, I wouldn't do it. It would be the
weakest link in my system's security. I know that this is a pain for some,
but I am sure that ONE of the backbones out there archives the net for a
month or so... So ask them. Just send a request with the proper amount of
respect to the root of any of the backnones, and I'm sure that that machine
will respond to your request(but no guarentee of an affermitive action).

Peter Barada
{ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|yale!cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb

gsw@iitcs.UUCP (Greg Washington) (08/01/85)

        A posting about games says that it takes up too much room on
        the network and it can't be constantly reposted well I sort of
        agree.  Only sort of because it mentions that the one that does
        not have a copy of it should leave his number.  Well this is fine
        if someone responds which I hope someone would because I would
        like some copies of sources.

                 1) Hack ----- for either pc or mainframe (over network
                               please)

                 2) Empire --- I may be wrong but is this the one discussed
                               in NET.game.emp.  if not then this is
                               the wrong game and that is the one that
                               I want.

                                 Thank you
                             Greg Washington

          P.S.   phone number   312-326-9830  (gsw@iitcs.UUCP)

nadya@dartvax.UUCP (Nadya M. Labib) (08/07/85)

In article <182@megad.UUCP> seth@megad.UUCP (Seth H Zirin) writes:
>> With regard to reposting hack for PC/IX. ...  I refuse to repost the
>> ENTIRE source since it chews up 248Kb of space, and its not necessary...
>> I don't think a repost is the proper solution. Its like asking your brother
>> to send out a dollar to everyone in the city just so you can get the dollar
>> you asked for.
>>				 Peter Barada
>> {ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|yale!cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb
>
>I agree with Peter.  If you missed the posting, track it down yourself and
>try to get it directly.  The whole net shouldn't pay because a few people
>missed something.
>--
>Name:	Seth H Zirin
>UUCP:	{decvax, ihnp4}!philabs!sbcs!megad!seth
>
>Keeper of the News for megad

I appreciate the advice.  I just thought I would try to get it the easy way
first.

                                                    Nadya