[net.sources] Why net.decus won't work

paul@greipa.UUCP (Paul A. Vixie) (09/24/85)

In article <196@graffiti.UUCP> peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Why not just go on using net.decus? I mean, apart from micros we don't
>even have 1 vendor-specific group, let alone 2! The volume of VMS articles
>on net.decus is small, and it's amusing watching vms types try to do
>elementary unixoid things.

It is sort of amusing, unless the place you work for only has VMS machines.
Then "doing elementary unixoid things" becomes a desperate struggle that
you fight every time you go to work...

Anyway, you raise a good point: net.decus is a group dedicated to DEC users;
why not use it?  Well: DECUS = Digital Equipment Corporation User's Society.
This group (net.decus) seems oriented more toward DECUS members and their
activities (large symposiums several times a year, mostly).  It is an unlikely
place to find technical information, and even if it were: VMS is not the only
operating system DEC supports.  Even for the VAX there's VaxELAN; for the
PDP-11 there are at least 10 different OS flavors.

A better substitute for net.vms would be fa.info-vax.  This is an ARPA
mailing list gatewayed both ways onto Usenet.  There are occasional postings
from Usenet people, but posting involves sending mail to info-vax@ucbvax,
which sometimes comes back with 99 lines of error messages.  Make that
"usually comes back..."

And besides, info-vax isn't really VMS specific either.

Perhaps we need a setup like net.micro.*:  net.????.{dg,dec,hp,...}.  Or
maybe a net.os.{aos,vms,rsts,mpe,...}.  You can argue that Usenet is for
Unix people, but that won't explain the popularity of net.micro.mac...

What net.vms seems targeted for is a Usenet version of fa.info-vax.  I
(and others) hope that someone will still gateway between net.vms and
INFO-VAX; this would just make posting much easier and more reliable
for Usenet people.

As I've already stated, I vote "YES" for net.vms.........
--

	Paul Vixie
	{decwrl dual pyramid}!greipa!paul

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (09/27/85)

> Anyway, you raise a good point: net.decus is a group dedicated to DEC users;
> why not use it?  Well: DECUS = Digital Equipment Corporation User's Society.
> This group (net.decus) seems oriented more toward DECUS members and their
> activities (large symposiums several times a year, mostly).  It is an unlikely
> place to find technical information, and even if it were: VMS is not the only
> operating system DEC supports.  Even for the VAX there's VaxELAN; for the
> PDP-11 there are at least 10 different OS flavors.

Wonderful, you'll next want us to abolish net.unix in favor of net.usenix.

> And besides, info-vax isn't really VMS specific either.

It damn well is!  If you've actually read it there hasn't been a single
non VMS relate topic on it in a long time.  I used to try to read it
for VAX hardware oriented information, but alas, they don't discuss it
there.   INFO-VAX really is INFO-VMS.

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (09/28/85)

Actually, the reason why INFO-VAX is probably sufficient for INFO-VMS is
contained in the request for a new newsgroup itself:

> ...VMS is not the only
> operating system DEC supports.  Even for the VAX there's VaxELAN;

(I didn't omit anything relevant I don't think.) Note the omission of
ULTRIX. I see this over and over again (eg. recent flames about various
DECUS mailings/questionairres omitting any reference to ULTRIX.) No
major judgement here, I just think that INFO-VAX is probably covering
the VMS topic well enough and a new newsgroup would probably just
confuse things. Besides, I suspect there is a huge movement away from
the VAX by UNIX users so the trend will probably be stronger in the
future (VAX users becoming primarily VMS users.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

sid@linus.UUCP (Sid Stuart) (09/30/85)

Give me a break, does this really need to be in net.sources? Have
some consideration.
						sid at linus